Calculating Salt Solution Concentration: Calculus & Non-Calculus Solutions

In summary, it takes 371.987 minutes for the salt solution concentration to decrease to 100 parts per million.
eldrick
There is a tank that contains 10,000 gallons of a weak salt solution. The salt concentration is 1300 parts per million. Now we start adding 130 gallons per minute of water and also remove 130 gallons per minute of salt solution. Thererore the salt solution concentration gradually decreases to zero parts per million. Assume the tank is agitated and well mixed.

How long does it take the salt solution concentration to decrease to 100 parts per million?

How long ... to 10 parts per million?

How long ... to 1 part per million?

I tried a decay solution as a logarithmic function ( which I believe is not quite correct ) but couldn't come up with correct calculus method.

Can someone offer a calculus & non-calculus solution ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi eldrick! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I tried this initially as a non-calculus solution ( but told not quite correct ) :

initial salt content is

10,000 * 1300/1,000,000 = 13 units

we want time salt concentration is

1) 10 per million or total salt content is

10,000 * 10/1,000,000 = 0.1 units

2) 1 per million or total salt content is

10,000 * 1/1,000,000 = 0.01 units

how do we find the answers ?

- 0'00 : total salt content is
10,000 * 1300/1,000,000 = 13 units

- 1'00 : total salt content is
(10,000 * 1300/1,000,000) - (130 * 1300/1,000,000) = 1300/1,000,000 * (10,000 - 130) = 12.831 units

without wasting time on endless factorising :

at any given time t, total salt is

13 * ( (10,000 - 130)/10,000 )^t

or simplify

13 * 0.987^t

so, for answers

1 ) 0.1 = 13 * 0.987^t

-> t = 371.987 minutes

1 ) 0.01 = 13 * 0.987^t

-> t = 547.954 minutes

The problem appears to be initial formula which is based on salt content at 1 minute & not instantaneous

Hi eldrick! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I haven't completely checked your other figures, but yes your 0.987t is correct.

(the calculus method, for the proportion p, would have been dp/dt = -0.013p)

Very kind of you Tim

I'd appreciate it if you would show me how you obtained the differential

dp/dt = -0.013p ?

A fixed proportion of the water leaves per second.

So a fixed proportion of the salt leaves per second.

That's English for "dp/dt is a constant times p". :smile:

Related to Calculating Salt Solution Concentration: Calculus & Non-Calculus Solutions

1. How do I calculate the concentration of a salt solution using calculus?

To calculate the concentration of a salt solution using calculus, you will need to know the initial volume and concentration of the solution, as well as the amount of salt added and the final volume of the solution. You can then use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume and C2 and V2 are the final concentration and volume, to calculate the concentration of the solution after the salt has been added.

2. What is the difference between a calculus and non-calculus solution for calculating salt solution concentration?

A calculus solution involves using mathematical equations and principles to calculate the concentration of a salt solution. This method is more precise and takes into account factors such as changes in volume and concentration over time. A non-calculus solution, on the other hand, involves more basic calculations and may not take into account these factors, resulting in a less accurate measurement.

3. Can I use different units of measurement when calculating salt solution concentration?

Yes, you can use different units of measurement when calculating salt solution concentration. However, it is important to convert all units to the same system (e.g. metric or imperial) before performing any calculations to ensure accuracy.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating salt solution concentration, or can I use any mathematical equation?

There are several formulas that can be used to calculate salt solution concentration, but the most commonly used one is the molarity formula, which is M = moles of solute / liters of solution. This formula can be used for both calculus and non-calculus solutions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating salt solution concentration?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when calculating salt solution concentration. Some of the most common include not converting units of measurement, not taking into account changes in volume or concentration over time, and using the wrong formula for the given scenario. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent to avoid these mistakes.