Calculating resultant force of friction from rope and bar.

In summary, the equation given states that the effort force needed to stop a weight from falling is proportional to the load and the friction coefficient.
Anasazi
Hello,

I hope this is a suitable forum, it's a million miles from homework but it may be on the same sort of level.

A picture is worth a thousand words so please have a look at the attached picture. When the rope is pulled there isn't just the issue of gravity, but also of the friction of the rope over the metal bar. What I am wanting to calculate is the actual force that must be applied to stop the weight from falling, taking into account the friction.

I really don't know where to start with this, but from the searching that I've done, this page seems to be using diagrams and words that seems applicable. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bollard-force-d_1296.html

The equation given is:
S = F e-μα
Where:
S = effort force in the rope (N)
F = load (N)
e = 2.718
μ = friction coefficient (approximately 0.3 - 0.5 is common for a rope around a steel or cast iron bollard)
α = angle where the rope is in contact with the bollard (radians)

So, plugging in the following data (assuming the rope is only in contact with half the bollard):

F = 300N
e = 2.718
μ = 0.4
α = ∏

I get:

300 * ( 2.718 -0.4 * ∏ ) = 85.39 N

Which seems to imply that the force that is needed to stop the weight from falling is 214.6 1N (300-85.39). However, I've got a feeling that I might be messing up the calculation, would somebody be kind enough to take a look for me?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
Anasazi said:
Hello,

I hope this is a suitable forum, it's a million miles from homework but it may be on the same sort of level.

A picture is worth a thousand words so please have a look at the attached picture. When the rope is pulled there isn't just the issue of gravity, but also of the friction of the rope over the metal bar. What I am wanting to calculate is the actual force that must be applied to stop the weight from falling, taking into account the friction.

I really don't know where to start with this, but from the searching that I've done, this page seems to be using diagrams and words that seems applicable. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bollard-force-d_1296.html

The equation given is:
S = F e-μα
Where:
S = effort force in the rope (N)
F = load (N)
e = 2.718
μ = friction coefficient (approximately 0.3 - 0.5 is common for a rope around a steel or cast iron bollard)
α = angle where the rope is in contact with the bollard (radians)

So, plugging in the following data (assuming the rope is only in contact with half the bollard):

F = 300N
e = 2.718
μ = 0.4
α = ∏

I get:

300 * ( 2.718 -0.4 * ∏ ) = 85.39 N

Which seems to imply that the force that is needed to stop the weight from falling is 214.6 1N (300-85.39). However, I've got a feeling that I might be messing up the calculation, would somebody be kind enough to take a look for me?

Thank you.

Your work seems okay to me. Note that the equation in question is also known as the Capstan Equation; The Wikipedia article for it looks pretty clear if you're looking for additional info.

Thank you very much! :)

Related to Calculating resultant force of friction from rope and bar.

What is the formula for calculating the resultant force of friction from rope and bar?

The formula for calculating the resultant force of friction from rope and bar is F = μN, where F is the resultant force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

How do I determine the coefficient of friction for a specific combination of rope and bar materials?

The coefficient of friction depends on the materials of the rope and bar, as well as the surface conditions. You can consult a friction table or conduct experiments to determine the coefficient of friction for your specific combination of materials.

What is the normal force and how do I calculate it?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface. To calculate the normal force, you can use the formula N = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

Can the resultant force of friction be greater than the applied force?

Yes, the resultant force of friction can be greater than the applied force. This occurs when the coefficient of friction and normal force are high, resulting in a larger frictional force that opposes the applied force.

How can I reduce the resultant force of friction in a rope and bar system?

To reduce the resultant force of friction in a rope and bar system, you can use lubricants or reduce the normal force by decreasing the weight of the object or using a smoother surface.