Calculating Residues and using Cauchy Integral Formula

In summary, the conversation is about integrating over all energies in a loop function for calculating scattering. The integral is simplified using a partial fraction decomposition and the residues of the two poles are calculated. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed with the evaluation but suggests using a large semicircle.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have a problem with this integral:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dE\frac{1}{E^{2}-\mathbf{p}^{2}-m^{2}+i\epsilon}\: ,\: l^{2}=\mathbf{p}^{2}+m^{2}[/tex]

The integration over all energies (arising in the loop function for calculating the scattering), I understand we write the above in this form:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dE\frac{1}{(E+(l-\frac{i\epsilon}{2l}))(E-(l-\frac{i\epsilon}{2l}))}[/tex]

Where ε is small and so the factor arising from it multiplying by itself can be neglected. It seems to evaluate this we can either calculate the residues of the two poles and sum them up and multiply by 2pi*i or we can use Cauchy Integral's formula - though I think it's the same thing... not really sure.

Our poles are at

[tex]-(l-\frac{i\epsilon}{2l})\: ,(l-\frac{i\epsilon}{2l})[/tex]

and we find the residues to be

[tex]-\frac{1}{2(l-\frac{i\epsilon}{2l})},\frac{1}{2(l-\frac{i\epsilon}{2l})}[/tex]

But I'm not sure how we see this or do this exactly...

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you can take a large semicircle in either half planes.then go for it's evaluation.Only one residue will give contribution.

Related to Calculating Residues and using Cauchy Integral Formula

1. What are residues in complex analysis?

Residues are the values assigned to points on a complex plane that correspond to the poles of a function. They are calculated using the Cauchy Integral Formula and are used to evaluate complex integrals.

2. How do you calculate residues?

To calculate a residue at a given point, you must first find the Laurent series of the function around that point. Then, the residue is the coefficient of the term with degree -1 in the Laurent series.

3. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula states that the value of a complex integral along a closed curve is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function within the curve. It is a powerful tool in evaluating complex integrals.

4. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula used in practice?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is used to calculate complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It is especially useful in evaluating integrals involving trigonometric or exponential functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Cauchy Integral Formula?

While the Cauchy Integral Formula is a powerful tool, it is not applicable to all functions. The function must be analytic, meaning it is differentiable at every point in the domain. Additionally, the function must not have any singularities within the closed curve being integrated.