Calculating Relative Speeds: Comparing Process X and Process Y in % Difference

• Thread starter xeon123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, @haruspex's thinking is that (a) taking X as reference, X is faster (X-Y)/Y times, and (b) taking Y as reference, Y is slower 1-(Y/X) times.
xeon123
I have a really simple question that I can't figure it out.

I have a process X that took 905 seconds to finish. Process Y took 950 seconds to finish. I want to know a) how much in % process X is faster than Y, and b) how much in % process Y is slower than X?

I think that the answer is the following.

a) Taking X as reference, X is faster (X-Y)/Y times.
b) Taking Y as reference, Y is slower 1-(Y/X) times.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
xeon123 said:
b) Taking Y as reference, Y is slower 1-(Y/X) times
That depends what you mean by X and Y there.
Since you want how much faster one is than the other, you need to compare rates.
What are the rates? You can express them as "processes per second"

haruspex said:
That depends what you mean by X and Y there.
Since you want how much faster one is than the other, you need to compare rates.
What are the rates? You can express them as "processes per second"

My question is not related to processes per second.
I have a process X which is faster than Y. I want to know how much X is faster than Y in %, and how much Y is slower than X in %. Eg., X is faster 10% than Y, and Y is slower something in % than X.

Last edited:
xeon123 said:
My question is not related to processes per second
Alice walked a km in 15 minutes, Bob took 30 minutes. Alice was faster by 15 minutes, which is 50% less than 30, but was she only 50% faster? At 4km/h, wasn't she 100% faster than Bob's 2km/h?
"% faster" means you are comparing rates, not times.

haruspex said:
Alice walked a km in 15 minutes, Bob took 30 minutes. Alice was faster by 15 minutes, which is 50% less than 30, but was she only 50% faster? At 4km/h, wasn't she 100% faster than Bob's 2km/h?
"% faster" means you are comparing rates, not times.

I understand your example because you use numbers easy to calculate. I don't know how to answer my example. Can you tell me if my answers are correct?

xeon123 said:
I have a process X that took 905 seconds to finish. Process Y took 950 seconds to finish. I want to know a) how much in % process X is faster than Y, and b) how much in % process Y is slower than X?

I think that the answer is the following.

b) Taking Y as reference, Y is slower 1-(Y/X) times.
Am I correct?
Using your numbers, for (a), you would get (905 - 950)/950, which is a negative number.
For (b), you would get 1 - (950/900), which is a number smaller than -1; i.e., more negative than -1.
So no, these are both incorrect.

xeon123 said:
I understand your example because you use numbers easy to calculate. I don't know how to answer my example. Can you tell me if my answers are correct?
See if you can duplicate @haruspex's thinking using your numbers.

Mark44 said:
Using your numbers, for (a), you would get (905 - 950)/950, which is a negative number.
For (b), you would get 1 - (950/900), which is a number smaller than -1; i.e., more negative than -1.
So no, these are both incorrect.See if you can duplicate @haruspex's thinking using your numbers.
I am having some difficulty in duplicating @haruspex's example. I really need some help.

xeon123 said:
I am having some difficulty in duplicating @haruspex's example. I really need some help.
Do as I suggested at the start - express the two rates as numbers of processes per second.

Related to Calculating Relative Speeds: Comparing Process X and Process Y in % Difference

What is the meaning of "Relation between values in %"?

The "Relation between values in %" refers to the comparison or connection between two or more values expressed in percentage terms.

How is the relation between values in % calculated?

The relation between values in % is calculated by dividing the difference between two values by the original value and multiplying by 100 to get the percentage change.

What does a positive or negative relation between values in % indicate?

A positive relation between values in % indicates an increase or growth, while a negative relation indicates a decrease or decline.

Can the relation between values in % be used to compare different sets of data?

Yes, the relation between values in % can be used to compare different sets of data and determine which set has a higher or lower percentage change.

Why is it important to understand the relation between values in % in scientific research?

Understanding the relation between values in % is important in scientific research as it allows for accurate interpretation and comparison of data, and can provide insights into patterns or trends over time.