Calculating Relative Motion and Vectors for Moving Cars

In summary, Car A's velocity varies as Va=3t^2i + 3tj while Car B's velocity varies as Vb=-4ti + 4t^2j. Both cars start at t=0.
southernbelle

Homework Statement

Car A's velocity varies as Va=3t^2i + 3tj
Car B's velocity varies as Vb= -4ti + 4t^2j
Both car's start at t=0.

a) Find the position of Car A with respect to Car B at t=1 second.
b) Find the velocity of Car B with respecto Car A at t=2.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I began by finding the antiderivative of Va and Vb.
I got v'(A)=t^3i + 3/2t^2i and
v'(B) = -2t^2i + 4/3t^3

Then I plugged in 1 for t and subtracted Car A - Car B.
I got 3i - 1/6j
Did I do that right?

b) I basically did the same thing except I used to orginial equations, plugged in 2 for t, abd subtracted Car B- Car A.
I came up with 4i - 24j

Did I do those problems correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
well you messed up with the components i and j in your integrals. You have 2 i's and no j for the first one, and no j in the second one.
But, I think you just typed it wrong so don't worry about it.

For part a I got the same thing you did except positive. I got 3i + 1/6j
and I didn't do the second part, but you might want to double check that that one isn't also positive, like 4i + 24j

Okay, so instead of subtracting vectors in relative motion, I should add them?

When I plotted the vectors I did positive js.

Oh and sorry about the mistype!

no, you still subtract them. But should get I think it was 9/6j - 8/6j = 1/6j positive.
So you did it right, maybe you just switched the vectors or got confused somewhere.

Ok, so, when I work out the components of the vectors, that is what I should subtract?

For instance, I would do:
3/2j - 4/3j

Because I have been adding both i's and both j's and then subtracting those numbers from each other.

either way works.
because if you have say 4i + 6j
and I want to subtract the vector 2i + 3j
it would be written like
(4i + 6j) - (2i + 3j)
which is equal to
4i + 6j - 2i - 3j = 2i + 3j

But to make it easier on yourself you can use a different form of representing vectors: (i, j) without the plus.

Okay, thank you!
I don't know how to mark this as solved.

Related to Calculating Relative Motion and Vectors for Moving Cars

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the measurement of an object's movement in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their positions relative to each other.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It is often used to represent physical quantities such as velocity or force.

3. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you must first determine the individual velocities of the two objects in question. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the relative velocity by considering the direction and magnitude of each object's velocity.

4. Can relative motion affect the measurements of an object's speed and direction?

Yes, relative motion can affect the measurements of an object's speed and direction. This is because an object's speed and direction are relative to the observer's frame of reference. Different observers may have different frames of reference, leading to different measurements of speed and direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of relative motion and vectors?

Relative motion and vectors are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to calculate the movement of objects in space, analyze motion in sports, and design structures that can withstand different forces and directions of motion.