Calculating Relative and Absolute Error: How to Find f(r,h,m)

• Thread starter Sang Jun Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary: But those are for averages over a large number of trials, not just one.In summary, San Jung tried to solve a homework equation but did not understand what he did correctly. He attempted to find the error but could not seem to figure it out. The answer to the equation he solved is 1.74.
Sang Jun Lee

Homework Statement

Find the value of the function f as well as the relative and absolute error"
f(r,h,m)=
upload_2015-2-22_0-44-5.png

the variables were measured as follows: r=1.78cm
upload_2015-2-22_0-44-46.png
r=0.006cm; h=2.34cm
upload_2015-2-22_0-45-6.png
h=0.005cm; m=13.4g
upload_2015-2-22_0-45-25.png
m=0.06g

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied the whole equation with Ln, then derived it.
I got
then plugged in numbers and got 0.0044=0.004 or 0.4%
Answer says delta f is equal to 0.002
And I don't see why the answer is 0.002.

It would be helpful if you guys can tell me the correct way to do this problem.

Thanks![/B]

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-22_0-46-30.png
    upload_2015-2-22_0-46-30.png
    175 bytes · Views: 420
  • upload_2015-2-22_0-46-45.png
    upload_2015-2-22_0-46-45.png
    175 bytes · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello San Jung, welcome to PF :smile:

A few remarks to introduce you: in PF you post the problem, the equations you think you need to solve it, and your own attempt to sort things out and find a solution. That way we can provide adequate assistance, not just say yes or no or hand over the answer.

In this case I can' t do much, because I have no idea what you did exactly. Please indicate how you would determine the error in a product or a quotient (or a square). And show your calculation steps.

I think what you did is take logarithms (i.e. not 'multiply by Ln'), but to me that seems to complicate things.

BvU said:
Hello San Jung, welcome to PF :smile:

A few remarks to introduce you: in PF you post the problem, the equations you think you need to solve it, and your own attempt to sort things out and find a solution. That way we can provide adequate assistance, not just say yes or no or hand over the answer.

In this case I can' t do much, because I have no idea what you did exactly. Please indicate how you would determine the error in a product or a quotient (or a square). And show your calculation steps.

I think what you did is take logarithms (i.e. not 'multiply by Ln'), but to me that seems to complicate things.

Hello.
Thank you for your reply.
I wrote down my equation using Mathtype and for some reason it isn't showing on my post.
What I did was multiply both sides by Ln
Thus, Ln(f(x))=2(deltaR/R) + (deltaH/H) - (deltaM/M) then derived the equation
deltaf/f = 2(0.006/1.78) + (0.005/2.34) - (0.06/13.4)

Therefore,
f = 1.74
delta f = 0.007564

But the answer says f = 1.74, and delta f = 0.02

Again, you don't call that "multiply both sides by Ln". It is called: "take the logarithm on both sides".

And if you do that in a correct way, you can write: if ##\displaystyle f (r,h,m) = {\pi r^2h\over m}## then ##\ln(f) = \ln\pi + 2\ln(r) + \ln(h) - \ln(m)##

However, Ln(f(x))=2(deltaR/R) + (deltaH/H) - (deltaM/M) is definitely not true.

And I really wonder how you can derive your ##{\Delta f\over f} = .\;.\;.\ \ ## from that.

But then, taking derivatives is indeed the right thing to do. Just not from the logarithm, but from the function itself.

Perhaps you have seen something come by in the lectures or in the textbook like $$
\Delta f \approx {\partial f\over \partial r} \Delta r + {\partial f\over \partial h} \Delta h + {\partial f\over \partial m} \Delta m\ \ \ ?
$$And since e.g. ##{\partial f\over \partial r} = 2{f\over r} ## etc. you can divide by f on the left and right to get something like your expression.

Now comes the snag: all these contributions have to be added up. That is to say, their absolute values have to be added up. You can't have subtraction there: if a and b both have 2 %
uncertainty, a/b has 4 % uncertainty, not 0%.

You could look http://www.rit.edu/cos/uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html to study the subject at hand. Look under (b) for multiplication and division. In your case, it looks as if the expressions under what Lindberg calls "Using simpler average errors" are to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Relative and Absolute Error: How to Find f(r,h,m)

What are significant figures?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the digits in a number that are considered reliable and accurate. They represent the precision of a measurement or calculation.

Why are significant figures important?

Significant figures are important because they help convey the level of precision and accuracy in a measurement or calculation. They also ensure that the reported value is not misleading or falsely precise.

How do you determine significant figures?

The general rule for determining significant figures is to start counting from the leftmost non-zero digit and continue until the last digit that is either non-zero or a zero that is considered significant. For example, in the number 24.050, there are four significant figures.

What are the rules for rounding with significant figures?

When rounding with significant figures, the general rule is to round to the same number of significant figures as the number with the least number of significant figures. If the digit to be removed is less than 5, the preceding digit remains the same. If the digit to be removed is 5 or greater, the preceding digit is increased by 1.

What is the purpose of using significant figures in scientific measurements?

The purpose of using significant figures in scientific measurements is to ensure that the reported values are accurate and reliable. It also allows for consistency and standardization in reporting numerical data among scientists.