Calculating Reflection Coefficient for a Potential Well

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the reflection coefficient for a potential well with a potential of V(x)=0 for x<0 and V(x) = Vo for x>0, where the particle has energy E greater than Vo and is incident from the left side. The solution involved using the time independent Schrodinger equation for the two regions and equating solutions at x=0. However, there were errors in the evaluation of derivatives and a discrepancy in the sign of the equation, leading to an incorrect reflection coefficient of 1.
captainjack2000

Homework Statement

A potential well with V(x)=0 for x<0 and V(x) = Vo for x>0. The particle has energy E greater than Vo and is incident from the left side. Calculate the reflection coefficient.

Homework Equations

Relfection coefficient is given by R= (B*B)/(A*A)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the time independent Schrodinger equation for the two regions are
x<0 (-hbar/2m)dphisquared/dphi =Ephi(x)
and
x>0 ((-hbar/2m)dphisquared/dphi +Vo phi = Ephi(x)

the solutions to this
x<0 Aexp(ik1x) +Bexp(-ik1x) = phi(x)
x>0 Cexp(ik2x)

is this right
carrying this through and equating two solutions at x=0
A+b = C
and equating differentials at x=0 gives
ik1(A-B) = -ik2C/k1

but when I solve for A and B i get
A=(c/2)(1-ik2/k1)
B=(c/2)(1+ik2/k1)

when I find R i get R=1 which must wrong because particle is not always reflected it should pass over the potential barrier?

Physics news on Phys.org
Things started to break down when you evaluated the derivatives. Why is there a k1 on the left side? And why didn't the i's cancel out in the final solution?

ik1(A-B) = -ik2C/k1
Apart from the extra k1 on the left side which Dick pointed out, why is there a minus sign on the right side?

sorry should the differentials be (A-B)=-ik2C/k1?
in which case i still get the same solutions for A and B and a coefficient of 1

Why is there a minus sign on the left hand side?

Related to Calculating Reflection Coefficient for a Potential Well

1. What is the reflection coefficient for a potential well?

The reflection coefficient for a potential well is a measure of the probability that a particle will be reflected when encountering the potential barrier of the well. It is represented by the Greek letter "R" and can range from 0 to 1, where 0 indicates no reflection and 1 indicates complete reflection.

2. How is the reflection coefficient calculated for a potential well?

The reflection coefficient for a potential well can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation and the wave function for the particle. It can also be calculated using the transmission coefficient, which is equal to 1-R. Other factors that may affect the calculation include the energy of the particle, the depth and width of the potential well, and the shape of the potential barrier.

3. What is the significance of the reflection coefficient for a potential well?

The reflection coefficient for a potential well is significant because it provides information about the behavior of particles encountering the potential barrier. It can help determine the probability of a particle being reflected or transmitted, and can provide insights into the energy levels and stability of the system.

4. How does the reflection coefficient change with varying parameters of the potential well?

The reflection coefficient for a potential well can change with varying parameters such as the energy of the particle, the depth and width of the potential well, and the shape of the potential barrier. Generally, a higher energy particle will have a lower reflection coefficient, while a wider and deeper potential well will result in a higher reflection coefficient.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the reflection coefficient for a potential well?

Yes, the reflection coefficient for a potential well has various real-world applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. It is used to study the properties of quantum systems, analyze the behavior of particles in semiconductor devices, and understand the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions.