Quantum - determine reflection coefficient

In summary: Well, you are correct. The reflection coefficient is given by R = (kR - kL)^2 / (kR + kL)^2, which is the same as (kL - kR)^2 / (kL + kR)^2. This is because squaring a negative number results in a positive number, so the two expressions are equivalent. In summary, when solving the boundary conditions for the reflection coefficient in this problem, you correctly obtained the formula R = (kR - kL)^2 / (kR + kL)^2, which is the same as (kL - kR)^2 / (kL + kR)^2 due to squaring a negative number.
wood
I am working through a past exam paper and this one has me stumped

1. Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass m with kinetic energy E incident from the left upon a
step-up potential:

$$U(x)=\begin{cases} 0 & \quad \text{for } x <0\\ V & \quad \text{for } x>0\\ \end{cases} $$

assuming V > 0. Assume that E > V .

(a) For the two distinct regions, write down the relevant time-independent Schrodinger ¨
equation in the form

$$\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}=-k^2\psi$$where k is real. Clearly specify the values of k^2 in each region, using kL to
represent the value of k to the left of the step, and kR to represent the value of k to
the right of the step. For each case, write down the general solution of the
Schrodinger equation in terms of real or complex exponentials.

(b) Impose the relevant boundary conditions for this system.

(c) Solve your boundary conditions to show that the reflection coefficient is given by
$$R=\left(\frac{k_R-k_L}{k_R+k_L}\right)^2$$

[3]
(d) Obtain a formula for the transmission coefficient. How does it differ from that
obtained in the classical case?

Homework Equations

TISE and ##R=|\frac{B}{A}|^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I can get my equations for part a
$$\psi_L(x)=Ae^{ik_Lx}+Be^{-ik_Lx}$$
$$\psi_L(x)=Ce^{ik_Lx}+De^{-ik_Lx}$$
D=0 as there is no reflected wave on x>0 so
$$\psi_L(x)=Ce^ik_Lx$$
and impose the boundary conditions at x=0 for part be and get
$$\psi_L(0)=\psi_R(0) $$
$$A+B=C$$
and
$$\psi'_L(0)=\psi'_R(0) $$
$$ik_L(A-B)=ik_RC$$
$$ C=\frac{k_L(A-B)}{k_R}=A+B$$
And this is where it all goes wrong. I cannot get from there to $$\frac{B}{A}=\left(\frac{k_R-k_L}{k_R+k_L}\right)$$
I end up with ## \left(\frac{k_L-k_R}{k_R+k_L}\right)## when I try to compute B/A. Is there another way to solve the boundary conditions for the reflection coefficient that gets the correct answer?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You did get the correct answer ...

Orodruin said:
You did get the correct answer ...
No, I keep getting kL-kR when I try to solve for A and B algebraically.

What happens when you square a negative number?

I get a positive number so I thnk I might be an idiot and have had the correct answer all along...ie
$$\left(\frac{k_R-k_L}{k_R+k_L}\right)^2=\left(\frac{k_L-k_R}{k_R+k_L}\right)^2$$

Related to Quantum - determine reflection coefficient

1. What is a reflection coefficient in quantum mechanics?

A reflection coefficient in quantum mechanics is a measure of how much of an incident wave is reflected by a potential barrier or interface. It is typically represented by the Greek letter "Γ" and ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating complete transmission and 1 indicating complete reflection.

2. How is the reflection coefficient calculated?

The reflection coefficient is calculated by taking the ratio of the reflected wave amplitude to the incident wave amplitude. This can be represented by the equation Γ = |B|^2/|A|^2, where B is the amplitude of the reflected wave and A is the amplitude of the incident wave.

3. What factors affect the reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient can be affected by several factors, including the energy and momentum of the incident particle, the potential barrier or interface it encounters, and the angle of incidence. Additionally, the properties of the material or system being studied can also play a role.

4. How does the reflection coefficient relate to quantum tunneling?

The reflection coefficient is closely related to quantum tunneling, which is the phenomenon where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even if it does not have enough energy to overcome it classically. The reflection coefficient determines the probability of the particle being reflected or transmitted during quantum tunneling.

5. Can the reflection coefficient be experimentally measured?

Yes, the reflection coefficient can be experimentally measured through various techniques such as scattering experiments or tunneling spectroscopy. These experiments involve detecting and analyzing the amplitude and energy of the incident and reflected waves to calculate the reflection coefficient.