Calculating Rainfall: Solving a Physics Problem for a City Area | Help Needed

In summary, the problem involves a heavy rainstorm that dumps 1.1 cm of rain on a city with dimensions of 5 km wide and 9 km long in a 2-hour period. The question asks how many metric tons and gallons of water fell on the city. By using the formula for volume as depth of water times area, the volume of rainfall can be calculated. This can then be converted to grams and then to kilograms, and finally to metric tons. The solution can also be found by converting the given rainfall measurement from centimeters to kilometers and then multiplying by the area of the city.
wadesweatt
Please help with this problem. I don't understand how you can know a quantity of rainfall over the given city area just by knowing 1.1 cm. The problem:
A heavy rainstorm dumps 1.1 cm of rain on a city 5 km wide and 9 km long in a 2-h period.

(a)How many metric tons (1 metric ton = 10^3 kg) of water fell on the city? (1 cm^3 of water has a mass of 1 gram = 10^-3 kg.)

(b)How many gallons of water was this?

For A, I know that if I can find kg of water, I can find metric tons easily enough. I could find kg by the 1cm=1g=10^-3kg, but I don't know how to find out how much rain was dropped on the city given the dimensions and 1.1 cm. How do you relate these two?

Thanks,

Wade

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wadesweatt said:
Please help with this problem. I don't understand how you can know a quantity of rainfall over the given city area just by knowing 1.1 cm.

The problem:
A heavy rainstorm dumps 1.1 cm of rain on a city 5 km wide and 9 km long in a 2-h period.

(a)How many metric tons (1 metric ton = 10^3 kg) of water fell on the city? (1 cm^3 of water has a mass of 1 gram = 10^3 kg.)

(b)How many gallons of water was this?

Welcome to PF.

Maybe ask yourself this question?
Depth of water times area is volume isn't it?

Looks like you have what you need.

so does this mean I should multiply 1.1 cm x 45 km? or should I convert 1.1 cm to 1.1x10^-5 km, and then multiply?

And then that quantity is my volume of rainfall (in km?)...which I can then relate to cm>grams>kg>metric tons.

ok i got it.

Thanks.

wadesweatt said:
ok i got it.

Thanks.

Yes you do have it.

Good luck.

Related to Calculating Rainfall: Solving a Physics Problem for a City Area | Help Needed

1. What is the purpose of solving a beginning physics problem?

Solving a beginning physics problem allows us to understand and apply fundamental principles of physics to real-world situations. It also helps us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in many scientific and engineering fields.

2. How do I approach solving a beginning physics problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem, including any given variables and known information. Then, identify the relevant physical principles that apply to the problem and determine the appropriate equations to use. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What if I don't understand a certain concept or equation in a beginning physics problem?

If you are struggling with a particular concept or equation, it is important to seek help from a teacher or tutor. They can provide further explanation and guide you through the problem until you fully understand it. You can also refer to textbooks or online resources for additional explanations and examples.

4. Can I use different methods to solve a beginning physics problem?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to approach and solve a physics problem. It is important to choose a method that you are comfortable with and that will yield the most accurate and efficient solution. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your answer using a different method to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I check if my answer to a beginning physics problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies all the given conditions and variables. Additionally, you can compare your answer to the expected result or solution, if provided. If you are still unsure, you can seek guidance from a teacher or use online resources for practice problems with solutions.