Calculating Rabbit's Moves on a Chessboard | Combinatorial Question

• Thread starter ParisSpart
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how a rabbit can move on a chessboard and the different ways it can reach a specific cell. One method involves using combinations, while another involves linear permutations. The emphasis is on finding a simple and efficient way to solve the problem.
ParisSpart
A rabbit lives on an ordinary chessboard 8x8. The rabbit located over the cell (1.1) (lower left, the upper right corner is (8.8), the lower right corner is (8,1)). At any time the rabbit jumps either to the right or upwards.

How many different ways can move the rabbit to reach the cell (3.4)?

I have a problem here.I think all the moves in the chessboard is (64 C 8) like (n C k) combinations, but i can not think how to move from the cell (1.1) to (3.4) maybe someone can give me any suggestion how?

Physics news on Phys.org
To understand the problem - draw out the chessboard and locate the cells.
Start tracing out possible paths manually - at some point you'll see a pattern emerge.

but the there are a lot of paths... maybe we can find another way to find them with combinatorial types?

Rabbit can only move right or upwards though - that severely restricts the number of paths.

Of course there is a shortcut involving combinations etc.
Your problem is how to find it - with the first step being to understand the problem.

Another way: since you already solved how to get to (8,8) from (1,1) ... presumably you can do it for any size square board?
So how does that work?

i will try to estimate it and i will post the result here to find out if its correct

i find it there are 10 ways to move right and up in the chessboard!

well done - how did you do that?

The rabbit reaches (8,8) from (1,1) in 14C7= 14!/(7!.7!) ways, if the rabbit jumps only one square at a time.
Call a rightward jump 'R' and upward jump 'U'. The answer is the total number of linear permutation of 7 R's and 7 U's.
Similarly, to reach (m,n) the rabbit can move in
(m+n-2)!/ [(m-1)!(n-1)!] ways.

Last edited:
Well done.
The answer is not so important as how you got to it.
Also I hope you can see that you sometimes have to mess about with a problem for a bit before finding out the short, simple, way to do it. Don't be scared to start a problem without knowing how to get to the answer.

Related to Calculating Rabbit's Moves on a Chessboard | Combinatorial Question

1. What is combinatorial question?

Combinatorial question refers to a type of problem that involves counting or organizing all possible combinations or arrangements of a set of objects or elements. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and computer science.

2. What are some examples of combinatorial questions?

Some examples of combinatorial questions include: How many ways can 5 people sit in 3 chairs? How many different license plates can be made with 3 letters and 4 numbers? How many possible outcomes are there when flipping a coin 3 times?

3. What is the difference between combination and permutation?

Combination refers to the selection of a subset of objects from a larger set, without considering the order of the objects. Permutation, on the other hand, refers to the arrangement of objects in a specific order. Both involve counting all possible options, but the order matters in permutation while it does not in combination.

4. How is combinatorial question used in real life?

Combinatorial question has various applications in real life, such as in probability and statistics, genetics, computer science, and business. It helps in analyzing and solving problems related to decision-making, optimization, and data analysis.

5. What are some strategies for solving combinatorial questions?

Some common strategies for solving combinatorial questions include using formulas or mathematical equations, creating a tree diagram or a table to list out all possibilities, using the fundamental principle of counting, and applying the concept of combinations and permutations.