Calculating Projectile Height Using Law of Gravitation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height a projectile will reach when launched straight up at a speed of 8.1 km/s at the Earth's surface, ignoring air resistance and Earth's rotation. The equation 1/2 mv2 = GM/x is used to solve for x, the distance between the centers of the projectile and Earth. The conversation also raises the question of using potential energy (mgΔh) instead of GMm/r, but it is determined that this is only valid for constant g.
majormaaz

Homework Statement

At the Earth's surface a projectile is launched straight up at a speed of 8.1 km/s. To what height will it rise? Ignore air resistance and the rotation of the Earth.

Homework Equations

F = GMm/r2
Ug = -GM/r2
G = 6.67 e -11 whatever units it happens to be
That's all I'm 'given' for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figured that the kinetic energy that the rocket/thing starts off with converts into gravitational energy.
1/2 mv2 = GM/x2
where x is the distance between the centers of the rocket and the earth.
So that would mean x = r + h?
So if we rearrange terms to solve for x, we get:
x = ±2GM/v2 - r
However, that doesn't seem to work, either sign for the potential energy.
Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial equation should be

½v2= GM/x

But in any event, you did the rearranging correctly. Why doesn't it work?

majormaaz said:
1/2 mv2 = GM/x2
That's not right, but you seem to have (almost) used the correct version below.
where x is the distance between the centers of the rocket and the earth.
So that would mean x = r + h?
So if we rearrange terms to solve for x, we get:
x = ±2GM/v2 - r
Looks like you originally had x2, but when you corrected it you forgot to get rid of the ±. And you've left out the PE it started with.

1/2 mv2 = GM/x2
That's not right, but you seem to have (almost) used the correct version below.
Terribly sorry about that. I used the formula U = -GMm/x for that, where x still is what I defined it to be previously.

And you've left out the PE it started with.
So you're saying that the equation looks like:
1/2 mv2 + GMm/r = GMm/x ...? where r is the radius of the earth?
Let me try this out... looks promising.
But here's another question.

A long long time ago I learned that there was kinetic energy and potential energy, mgΔh. This type of potential energy is gravitational and so is GMm/r, so would the problem also be solved by replacing GMm/r with mgΔh?

majormaaz said:
A long long time ago I learned that there was kinetic energy and potential energy, mgΔh. This type of potential energy is gravitational and so is GMm/r, so would the problem also be solved by replacing GMm/r with mgΔh?
No, that's only valid for constant g.

haruspex said:
No, that's only valid for constant g.
aahhh... makes sense. It's similar to the reason why we don't use kinematics for equations with velocities accelerating at increasing/decreasing rates.

Got it. Thanks!

Related to Calculating Projectile Height Using Law of Gravitation

1. What is the Law of Gravitation Problem?

The Law of Gravitation Problem, also known as the Gravitational Force Problem, is a physics problem that involves determining the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses and the distance between them.

2. How is the Law of Gravitation Problem solved?

The Law of Gravitation Problem is solved using the equation F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of attraction, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of the Law of Gravitation Problem?

The Law of Gravitation Problem is significant because it helps us understand the force that holds our universe together. It also has many practical applications, such as predicting the orbits of planets and spacecraft.

4. What factors affect the strength of gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force is affected by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The greater the masses, the stronger the force, and the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force.

5. How does the Law of Gravitation Problem relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The Law of Gravitation Problem is a simplified version of Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. However, the Law of Gravitation Problem is still accurate and applicable for most everyday situations.