Calculating Power Loss from Voltage Change at 3 Ohms Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of power wasted when a power station delivers 520kW of power to a factory through wires with a total resistance of 3 ohms. By increasing the voltage from 12,000V to 50,000V, the amount of power wasted significantly decreases. The suggested approach is to calculate the current and power wasted at both voltages and then compare the results.
urszula

Homework Statement

a power station delivers 520kW of power to a factory through wires of total resistance of 3 ohms ,how much less power is wasted if the electricity is deliverd at 50,000V rather than 12,000V

Homework Equations

P=IV=I^R =V^/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use voltage and resistance to calculate power and compare that with 520kW ,but it did not make any sense.Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Determine the current flowing at 12000 V and 520 kW. Power wasted I^2R. Next determine the current at 50000 V and 520 kW (it will be much less than earlier). Determine power wasted. Find the difference.

Thanks a lot .

Related to Calculating Power Loss from Voltage Change at 3 Ohms Resistance

1. How do you calculate power loss from voltage change at 3 ohms resistance?

To calculate power loss, you can use the formula P = (V^2)/R, where P is power loss in watts, V is voltage change in volts, and R is resistance in ohms.

2. What is the significance of 3 ohms resistance in this calculation?

The 3 ohms resistance represents the amount of opposition to current flow in the circuit. It is used in the formula to determine the amount of power loss that will occur due to a change in voltage.

3. Can power loss be negative in this calculation?

No, power loss cannot be negative in this calculation. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of energy that is dissipated as heat in the circuit.

4. How does increasing the resistance affect power loss?

As resistance increases, power loss also increases. This is because with higher resistance, there is more opposition to current flow, resulting in a greater voltage drop and therefore a higher power loss.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of power loss that can occur in a circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of power loss that can occur in a circuit. This is determined by the maximum power handling capacity of the components in the circuit. If the power loss exceeds this limit, it can cause damage to the components.