Calculating Potential at Apex of Charged Cone

In summary, to calculate the potential at the apex of a uniformly charged right circular cone, you need to integrate over the charge distribution, choose a coordinate system for the cylinder, and take the derivative with respect to s. The potential is just the distance from the strip to the apex, and sin(\theta) must be found.
Quotes
How to calculate the potential at the apex of uniformly charged right circular cone (charge only at the curved surface), having height "h" and radius "R" and lateral height "l" and change density sigma?

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential at a point [itex]\vec{r}_0[/itex] can be obtained by integrating [itex]\frac{dQ}{|\vec{r} - \vec{r}_0|}[/itex] over the charge distribution. If you have a surface charge distribution, then [itex]dQ = \sigma dA[/itex] where [itex]A[/itex] is the area, and [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the charge density.

So the challenge is to find a convenient coordinate system for computing [itex]|\vec{r} - \vec{r}_0|[/itex] and [itex]dA[/itex] and then just do the integral. Do you have any ideas about a convenient coordinate system for a cylinder?

Likes Quotes
Thanks for the hint... I tried it but its really getting quite difficult for me to choose a suitable area element for which i can calculate the potential and then integrating it over the whole area... So can you please show me the steps to proceed... I need to get the question done today itself
:smile::smile:

Here's another hint: Suppose you split up the cone into narrow horizontal strips. Let [itex]r[/itex] be the distance of the strip from the apex. Let [itex]dr[/itex] be the width of the strip, and let [itex]L[/itex] be its length (the distance all the way around the strip). Then the area of the strip will be [itex]dA = dr \cdot L[/itex]. So can you figure out [itex]L[/itex] in terms of [itex]r[/itex]?

Are you asking me to take the element as small strips wrapped around the cone as a circle?

Quotes said:
Are you asking me to take the element as small strips wrapped around the cone as a circle?

I'm getting closer and closer to just giving you the answer. But here's another clue:

If you have a cone that measures [itex]s[/itex] down the side, and the side makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] relative to the vertical, then the area of the cone's surface is:

[itex]A = \pi s^2 sin(\theta)[/itex]

So you can take the derivative with respect to [itex]s[/itex] to get [itex]dA[/itex]:

[itex]dA = 2 \pi s sin(\theta) ds[/itex]

That's the same as a little strip with width [itex]ds[/itex] and length [itex]2 \pi s sin(\theta)[/itex]

So [itex]dQ = \sigma\ dA = \sigma\ 2 \pi s sin(\theta) ds[/itex]

The distance from the strip to the apex is just [itex]s[/itex]. So

[itex]\frac{dQ}{|\vec{r} - \vec{r}_0|} = \frac{dQ}{s}[/itex]

So do the integral of [itex]\frac{dQ}{s}[/itex] where [itex]s[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]l[/itex]. Can you figure out what [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] must be?

Likes Quotes
@Quotes -- you need to start showing some effort, or this thread will be closed and deleted. We do not do students' work for them here at the PF.

berkeman said:
@Quotes -- you need to start showing some effort, or this thread will be closed and deleted. We do not do students' work for them here at the PF.
Sorry for this.. It was my first day at the forum. But yes for sure i will keep that in mind. Thankyou

Related to Calculating Potential at Apex of Charged Cone

What is the potential of a charged cone?

The potential of a charged cone refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point on the surface of the cone. This potential is determined by the charge of the cone and its shape.

How is the potential of a charged cone calculated?

The potential of a charged cone is calculated using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the potential, k is a constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the apex of the cone to the point of interest on the surface.

What factors affect the potential of a charged cone?

The potential of a charged cone is affected by the charge of the cone, the shape and size of the cone, and the distance from the apex of the cone to the point of interest on the surface.

How does the potential of a charged cone change with distance?

The potential of a charged cone follows an inverse relationship with distance. As the distance from the apex of the cone increases, the potential decreases.

What is the significance of the potential of a charged cone?

The potential of a charged cone is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the interactions between charged objects. It is also used in practical applications such as in the design of electrical components and devices.