Calculating Parachute Work and Distance for Slowing Down a Car

In summary, the conversation discusses the work done by a parachute to slow down a car, using the equation W = Fd * d. The force of drag is calculated using the equation Fd = Cd * ρ * Af * V^2 / 2. It is then noted that the velocity is not constant and therefore the work and kinetic energy are not constant. The conversation also explores the distance needed to slow down a car from one velocity to another, and it is determined that this distance is dependent on the initial velocity. The conversation concludes with a discussion on calculating velocity and distance over time using integration.
billy_jack
i'm trying to figure out the work done by a parachute to slow down a car and so far i have come up with:

W = F[itex]_{d}[/itex] * d
F[itex]_{d}[/itex] = C[itex]_{d}[/itex] ρ A[itex]_{f}[/itex] [itex]V^{2}[/itex]/2

and i have equated the loss of kinetic energy to the work done by the parachute, since the velocity is not constant and therefore the work and kinetic energy are not constant i end up with the following:

∫C[itex]_{d}[/itex] ρ A[itex]_{f}[/itex] V dV * d = ∫m V dV

does this mean that the distance to slow down the car from one velocity to another is independent of velocity? surely the distance to go from 1000mph to 100mph is not the same as the distance to go from 200mph to 100mph

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

billy_jack said:
i'm trying to figure out the work done by a parachute to slow down a car and so far i have come up with:

W = F[itex]_{d}[/itex] * d
F[itex]_{d}[/itex] = C[itex]_{d}[/itex] ρ A[itex]_{f}[/itex] [itex]V^{2}[/itex]/2

and i have equated the loss of kinetic energy to the work done by the parachute,...
Equating W with the change in kinetic energy should be enough, shouldn't it? Just plug in the mass and initial velocity of the car to get the initial kinetic energy, and that is equal to the work done to stop the car.
... since the velocity is not constant and therefore the work and kinetic energy are not constant i end up with the following:

∫C[itex]_{d}[/itex] ρ A[itex]_{f}[/itex] V dV * d = ∫m V dV
I disagree with the left-hand side of this equation. The right-hand side is the integral of m·a·dx=F·dx, so that's the work done. The left-hand side is (the integral of dF)*d, so that's the change in force ΔF, times the distance traveled d. And since the force is zero once the car has stopped, that integral is equivalent to the initial drag force on the car. So you have basically said
(Initial force)·d = work done,​
which is not true, since the force is continually changing as the car slows down.
does this mean that the distance to slow down the car from one velocity to another is independent of velocity? surely the distance to go from 1000mph to 100mph is not the same as the distance to go from 200mph to 100mph

thanks in advance

billy_jack said:

Fd is a function of velocity. Acceleraion = f/m so you can change this to

a = dv/dt = - c v2.

where c is all of those constants combined.

To solve this for velocity versus time via direct integration (don't forget to add a constant term for initial velocity at t=0 after integrating):

dv/dt = - c v2.

dv/(- c v2) = dt

Then you can integrate that equation to solve for distance versus time, using the same method.

Related to Calculating Parachute Work and Distance for Slowing Down a Car

1. What is work done by a parachute?

The work done by a parachute is the amount of energy transferred from the falling object to the surrounding air molecules as the parachute slows down the object's descent. This energy is dissipated as heat and sound.

2. How does a parachute work?

A parachute works by creating drag, or air resistance, as it opens and catches the air. This drag force counteracts the force of gravity pulling the object downwards, slowing down its descent.

3. What is the relationship between the size of the parachute and the work done?

The size of the parachute affects the amount of air resistance it creates, which in turn affects the amount of work done by the parachute. A larger parachute will create more air resistance and do more work in slowing down the descent of the object.

4. Does the weight of the object affect the work done by the parachute?

Yes, the weight of the object does affect the work done by the parachute. A heavier object will require more work from the parachute to slow down its descent compared to a lighter object.

5. Can the work done by a parachute be calculated?

Yes, the work done by a parachute can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the object falls. This calculation gives the total amount of work done by the parachute in slowing down the object's descent.