Calculating Original Mass of Ice at 0 Degrees C

In summary, the original mass of ice can be calculated using the formula E_w-E_i=(m_w-m_i)c^2=m_i*L, where L is the specific latent heat. This concept is not directly related to nuclear and particle physics, but it does involve the conversion of mass to energy. The calculated mass of 2.67 * 10^11 kg could be correct.
sanphy
The question is:
Ice at 0 degree C turns into Water at 0 degree C and thus gains 1 Kg of mass. What is the original mass of ice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use E_w-E_i=(m_w-m_i)c^2=m_i*L, where L is the specific latent heat.

What has this to do with nuclear and particle physics?

malawi_glenn said:
What has this to do with nuclear and particle physics?

Let's just say that if you don't help sanphy, he'll go nuclear and physically smash you to particles.

Well this is indeed not a nuclear or particle physics question and is a mass-energy question.
I tried to solve but the mass comes out as 2.67 * 10^11 kg.
I think this could be correct.:approve::biggrin:

thanks clem

Related to Calculating Original Mass of Ice at 0 Degrees C

What is the formula for calculating the original mass of ice at 0 degrees C?

The formula for calculating the original mass of ice at 0 degrees C is: Mass of Ice = Mass of Water + Mass of Container - Mass of Container with Water and Ice

Why is it important to calculate the original mass of ice at 0 degrees C?

Calculating the original mass of ice at 0 degrees C is important because it allows us to determine the amount of water that has been frozen, which is a crucial factor in understanding the properties and behavior of ice.

What units are used for measuring the mass of ice?

The mass of ice is typically measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg).

What are some common sources of error when calculating the original mass of ice at 0 degrees C?

Some common sources of error when calculating the original mass of ice at 0 degrees C include not accurately measuring the mass of the container or not allowing the ice to completely melt before measuring the final mass.

Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating the original mass of ice at 0 degrees C?

Yes, it is also important to take into account any changes in temperature or pressure that may affect the mass of the ice or water. Additionally, the purity of the water and the accuracy of the measuring equipment should also be considered.