Calculating % of X-rays Penetrating Lead with Al Attenuation Coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the attenuation coefficient of Al for soft-xrays and how to determine the percentage of X-rays that penetrate a 3.00mm thick piece of lead. The formula I = Io*e^(-ux) is mentioned and questions are raised about determining Io and finding the FAQ for the equation editor. Ultimately, it is determined that the percentage can be found by using the formula I(at depth)/I(at zero depth), where Io cancels out.
MrKoffee
Okay, the question I'm suppose to answer is:

If the attenuation coefficent of Al is 1.73/cm for soft-xrays, what percentage of X-rays penetrate a piece of lead 3.00mm in thickness

What I seem to have is

I = Io*e^(-ux)

I believe u = 1.73/cm and x = 3.00mm.

My 3 questions are:

1) Am I going in the correct direction?
2) How do I determine what Io be? (soft x-rays?)
3) Can someone point me to the FAQ for the equation editor?

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're asked for a "percentage" ... that is, what fraction of those impinging ...
which is : I(at depth)/I(at zero depth) , so the Io cancels out.

ps. the format is [ tek ] ... and [ /tek ] , without the spaces .

Well, now I feel really stupid...

Related to Calculating % of X-rays Penetrating Lead with Al Attenuation Coefficient

What is the equation for calculating the percentage of X-rays penetrating lead using the attenuation coefficient?

The equation is: % Penetration = (I/I0) x 100, where I is the intensity of the X-rays after passing through the lead and I0 is the initial intensity of the X-rays.

How do I determine the attenuation coefficient for lead?

The attenuation coefficient for lead can be found in tables or can be calculated using the equation: μ = μ0 / ρ, where μ is the attenuation coefficient, μ0 is the mass attenuation coefficient, and ρ is the density of lead.

What is the unit of measurement for the attenuation coefficient?

The unit of measurement for the attenuation coefficient is cm2/g.

How does the thickness of lead affect the percentage of X-rays that penetrate it?

The thicker the lead, the higher the percentage of X-rays that will be attenuated. This means that a thicker lead will result in a lower percentage of X-rays penetrating through it.

Can the attenuation coefficient be used for materials other than lead?

Yes, the attenuation coefficient can be used for any material that X-rays pass through. However, the specific coefficient will vary depending on the material's density and composition.