Calculating Object's Trajectory on a Circular Track

In summary, the problem involves a frictionless track with a loop of radius 36 cm, 0.9 meters above the ground. A 0.15 kg object just makes the loop and the question asks for its initial height above the table and how far it lands from the table. Using the equations Mgh - Mg(2R) = 0.5MV^2 and Y = Voyt + .5gt^2, we can solve for the initial height of the object and the distance it lands from the table.
myoplex11

Homework Statement

A frictionless track with a loop of radius 36 cm sits on a table 0.9 meters above the ground. If a 0.15 kg object just makes the loop, how high above the table did the object start and how far from the table does it land?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you check my work
Mgh - Mg(2R) = 0.5MV^2
gh - 2gR = 0.5V^2
once i solve for V i can use a kinematics equation to figure our how far from the table it lands?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I misunderstood question first time.

Last edited:
Can you check my work
Mgh - Mg(2R) = 0.5MV^2
gh - 2gR = 0.5V^2
gh-2gR = 0.5Rg
h = 2.5R = 2.5(.36m)= 0.9
for the second part to figure out how far from the table it lands:
Y = Voyt + .5gt^2
0.9 = 4.9t^2
t = 0.428571s
x = Voxt
x =((Rg)^0.5)*t

First part is correct. For the second part, you have put Y = 0.9 m and Vox = sqrt(Rg).
But Vox = sqrt(Rg) at the top of the loop. At that time, the object's height from ground
= table's height from ground + object's height from table
= 0.9 m + 2R
= 0.9 m + 2*0.36 m
= 1.62 m
So put Y = 1.62 m
Rest is fine.

Related to Calculating Object's Trajectory on a Circular Track

1. What is motion about a circular track?

Motion about a circular track, also known as circular motion, is the movement of an object along a circular path or trajectory.

2. What causes an object to move in a circular track?

An object moves in a circular track due to the presence of a centripetal force, which acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a curved path.

3. How is the speed of an object in circular motion related to its radius?

The speed of an object in circular motion is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the object also increases, and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant throughout the circular path, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points along the path.

5. How is circular motion related to the concept of centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration a body experiences while moving in a circular path. In circular motion, the centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle and is directly proportional to the speed of the object and inversely proportional to its radius.