Calculating O2 Weight Needed for 100g NH3 Reaction | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter median27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, it looks like the equation needs to be balanced so that there are an equal number of hydrogens on both sides of the equation. After that, it looks like the number of moles of ammonia will determine how many moles of oxygen are required to react with it. However, I am still stuck on how to calculate the weight of oxygen needed.
median27

Homework Statement

What weight of O2 in grams will be required to react with exactly 100 grams of NH3 ascending to the eq.
NH3+O2--->NO+H2O

Homework Equations

I think none.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any attempt on this problem because my brother only ask for my assistance regarding this assignment and he too doesn't know how to start this problem- the fact that it is under their next lesson.

I just want to help my brother, so I risk to post it here. I hope somebody would help me and will explain how the solution goes so that i can relay it to him. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
median27 said:

Homework Statement

What weight of O2 in grams will be required to react with exactly 100 grams of NH3 ascending to the eq.
NH3+O2--->NO+H2O

Homework Equations

I think none.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any attempt on this problem because my brother only ask for my assistance regarding this assignment and he too doesn't know how to start this problem- the fact that it is under their next lesson.

I just want to help my brother, so I risk to post it here. I hope somebody would help me and will explain how the solution goes so that i can relay it to him. Thanks :)

First of all the equation needs to be balanced ( there are more hydrogens on the left than the right). Then you need to calculate the number of moles 100g of ammonia contains. Then using the stoichiometry of the reaction use that to calculate the equivilant number of moles of oxygen required to react with that many moles of ammonia. Using moles=grams/mr you can calculate the weight of oxygen needed. Post back in this thread if you get stuck

thanks

baldywaldy said:
First of all the equation needs to be balanced ( there are more hydrogens on the left than the right). Then you need to calculate the number of moles 100g of ammonia contains. Then using the stoichiometry of the reaction use that to calculate the equivilant number of moles of oxygen required to react with that many moles of ammonia. Using moles=grams/mr you can calculate the weight of oxygen needed. Post back in this thread if you get stuck

thanks

thanks for your speedy reply! :D

Related to Calculating O2 Weight Needed for 100g NH3 Reaction | Step-by-Step Guide

1. How do I calculate the amount of O2 needed for a 100g NH3 reaction?

To calculate the amount of O2 needed for a 100g NH3 reaction, you need to use the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. In this case, the balanced equation is 4NH3 + 3O2 → 2N2 + 6H2O. This means that for every 4 moles of NH3 reacted, 3 moles of O2 are needed. Therefore, to calculate the amount of O2 needed for 100g NH3, you need to first convert 100g NH3 to moles using its molar mass (17 g/mol). This gives you 5.88 moles of NH3. Then, using the mole ratio from the balanced equation, you can calculate the amount of O2 needed, which is 4.41 moles.

2. What is the molar mass of NH3?

The molar mass of NH3 (ammonia) is 17 g/mol. This means that 1 mole of NH3 has a mass of 17 grams.

3. What is the mole ratio between NH3 and O2 in the balanced chemical equation?

The mole ratio between NH3 and O2 is 4:3 in the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. This means that for every 4 moles of NH3 reacted, 3 moles of O2 are needed.

4. How can I convert grams to moles?

To convert grams to moles, you need to use the molar mass of the substance. The molar mass is the mass of 1 mole of the substance. To convert grams to moles, you need to divide the given mass by the molar mass. For example, to convert 100g NH3 to moles, you would divide 100g by the molar mass of NH3 (17 g/mol), giving you 5.88 moles of NH3.

5. Why is it important to use a balanced chemical equation when calculating reactants and products?

A balanced chemical equation ensures that the number of atoms of each element is conserved in a chemical reaction. This is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the amount of reactants needed and the amount of products produced. Without a balanced equation, the calculation would be incorrect and the reaction may not proceed as expected.