Calculating O2 Volume from First-Order Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide

• Thread starter needphyshelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    First order
In summary, after 12.4 minutes, 1.23e-24 moles of H2O2 will decomposed to yield 6.14e-25 moles of O2.
needphyshelp

Homework Statement

Hydrogen peroxide undergoes a first-order decomposition to water and O2 in aqueous solution. The rate constant at 25°C is 7.40e-4s. Calculate the volume of O2 obtained from the decomposition reaction of 1.00 mol H2O2 at 25°C and 740 mmHg after 12.4 min.

Homework Equations

ln[H2O2]= -kt + ln[H2O2]0

The Attempt at a Solution

12.4 minutes = 744s
k = 7.4e-2

I started using the above equation to calculate the concentration of H2O2 and then tried to get O2 from there, but that just gave me molarity and I'm not sure how to find volume. Also, the equation does not include the pressure, so I am not sure if I am using the correct equation, but I can't find anything else in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much oxygen produced per mole of peroxide decomposed? Look at the reaction equation.

Pressure is needed only for ideal gas equation here.

1/2 mole of oxygen is produced her mole of peroxide decomposed, but I'm not sure I understand how that helps me.

How much peroxide will be decomposed during 12.4 minutes?

I think 1.23e-24 moles of H2O2 will decompose, which means 6.14e-25 moles of O2 will be produced, but I still need to find volume. Can I use the ideal gas law to find this?

You are on the right track now whe it comes to the approach to find the volume, but your numbers (in teh range of 10-24 moles) are for sure wrong.

wow. i just recalculate that and have no idea how i got that number.
does .577 moles of H2O2 decomposing sound more reasonable? and then .289 O2 formed?

using ideal gas law, PV=nRT I have (740)V=.289(62.36)(298.15). V=7.26, but that is not the right answer...
im lost.

Looks to me like you are in the correct range with these numbers.

Check whether 0.577 is decomposed - or left, that's most likely mistake. I am leaving for an hour or so now, so you are on your own.

Oops. That was the amount left, not decomposed.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Related to Calculating O2 Volume from First-Order Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide

1. What is first order decomposition?

First order decomposition is a chemical reaction in which a compound is broken down into simpler compounds or elements. It is a spontaneous process that occurs over time and is driven by the natural tendency of atoms to become more stable.

2. How does first order decomposition occur?

First order decomposition can occur through various mechanisms, such as thermal, photochemical, or biological processes. It can also be triggered by external factors such as heat, light, or enzymes.

3. What are the factors that affect first order decomposition?

The rate of first order decomposition is influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration of the reactants, surface area of the reactants, presence of catalysts, and the nature of the reactants and products.

4. What is the difference between first order and second order decomposition?

The main difference between first order and second order decomposition is the rate at which the reaction occurs. In first order decomposition, the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactant, whereas in second order decomposition, the rate is proportional to the square of the concentration of the reactant.

5. Why is first order decomposition important in environmental science?

First order decomposition plays a crucial role in the cycling of nutrients and energy in ecosystems. It is responsible for the breakdown of dead organic matter, releasing essential nutrients back into the soil and enabling the growth of new plants. It also helps to regulate the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which has important implications for climate change.