Calculating Mass Lost in Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide

• Thread starter nesan
  • Start date
In summary, the rate of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide was studied at a particular temperature and the initial concentration of hydrogen peroxide was found to be 0.200 mol/L. After 10 seconds, the concentration was measured to be 0.196 mol/L. In order to calculate the mass lost as O2 bubbled out of solution in this initial 10-second interval, the equation used was 0.500 L * 0.200 mol/L = 0.1 and 0.500 L * 0.196 mol/L = 0.098, resulting in a difference of 0.002 mol. This equates to a mass of 0.032 g, taking into account the density of hydrogen per
nesan
Someone check my answer please. :)

Homework Statement

The rate of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide was studied at a particular temperature. H2O2(aq) = H2O (l) + 1/2O2(g)

The initial concentration of hydrogen
peroxide was 0.200 mol/L. 10.0 s later,
it was measured to be 0.196 mol/L.

b) 0.500 L of hydrogen peroxide solution was
used for the experiment. What mass was lost
as O2 bubbled out of solution in this initial
10.0 s interval?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was.

0.500 L * 0.200 mol/L = 0.1

0.500 L * 0.196 mol/L = 0.098

0.1 - 0.098 = 0.002mol

0.002 * 16 = 0.032 g

What I'm doubting is.

0.500 L * 0.196 mol/L = 0.098

Won't the volume change after 10 seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, it will change, no, you don't have to worry - change will be negligible. You are replacing hydrogen peroxide with equimolar amount of water.

sjb-2812 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Cite&page=Hydrogen_peroxide&id=489569020 suggests that the density of hydrogen peroxide is significantly different to that of water; but as there is not much decomposition, this may be irrelevant.

Something else makes it completely irrelevant. He started with a 0.2M solution. Using density tables (or concentration calculator) you can easily check initial density to be around 1.0012 g/mL - so even after complete decomposition density change is just around 0.1%.

The volume may change slightly due to the release of gas, but since the concentration is given in moles per liter, the change in volume would not significantly affect the calculation. Your solution seems correct, as you have correctly used the initial and final concentrations to determine the change in moles of H2O2, and then converted it to grams of O2. However, it would be helpful to show the units in your calculation to make it clearer. Overall, your approach and solution seem to be correct.

Related to Calculating Mass Lost in Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to check my answer?

Asking someone to check your answer is a way to verify the accuracy and completeness of your work. It can also help identify any mistakes or misunderstandings you may have made.

2. Who should I ask to check my answer?

You can ask a colleague, friend, or teacher who is knowledgeable in the subject matter to check your answer. It is important to choose someone who is reliable and can provide constructive feedback.

3. How should I ask someone to check my answer?

It is best to be polite and specific when asking someone to check your answer. Clearly state what type of feedback you are looking for and provide any necessary context or background information.

4. Is it necessary to have someone check my answer?

While it is not always necessary, it can be beneficial to have someone check your answer. It can help catch any mistakes or provide a different perspective on the problem.

5. What should I do if the person checking my answer disagrees with me?

If the person checking your answer disagrees with you, it is important to listen to their reasoning and try to understand their perspective. It can also be helpful to do further research and gather more evidence to support your answer.