Calculating Normal Vector Derivative in Differential Geometry Using Curve Basis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix for d\vec{N} in the basis of {\vec{a}_{u},\vec{a}_{v}} using the curve \vec{a}(u, v) = (u, v, uv). The partial derivatives \vec{a}_{u} and \vec{a}_{v} are found and used to calculate the normal vector, which is given as 1/\sqrt{v^{2}+u^{2}+1}(-v, -u, 1). The process of finding d\vec{N} is not clearly explained and the use of the Jacobian matrix is uncertain. Further clarification is needed to move on to finding the second fundamental
metzky

Homework Statement

Using the curve [itex]\vec{a}[/itex](u,v)= (u,v,uv) for all (u,v) ε R^2

Find the matrix for d[itex]\vec{N}[/itex] in the basis of {[itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{u}[/itex],[itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex]}

Homework Equations

Well first off i found the partial derivatives
[itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{u}[/itex] which is 1,0,v, while [itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex] is 0,1,u
Then using those i found the normal vector which i calculated as [itex]1/\sqrt{v^{2}+u^{2}+1}[/itex] (-v,-u,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now this is where i get lost. Our book does not explain this very well at all. It just shows going fron N to dN with no explanation. I tried using the jacobian matrix to calculate the derivative but I'm not sure if this is the right approach. Most of the examples don't have a matrix from so i Know I'm doing something wrong.

The problem is a set from
kbw0RwT.png
for reference. I need dN to move on to find the second fundamental forms and so forth

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually could i bring out the 1/sq u^2... out of the jacobian matrix then use the matrix to find the vector or no? so only the -v,-u,1 would be getting partially derived in the matrix?

Related to Calculating Normal Vector Derivative in Differential Geometry Using Curve Basis

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and behavior of curves and surfaces in a multidimensional space. It combines the concepts of calculus, geometry, and linear algebra to understand and analyze the curvature, length, and other geometric properties of these objects.

2. What are some practical applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of space-time, in robotics to study the motion of mechanical systems, and in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models of objects and surfaces.

3. What is the difference between differential geometry and integral geometry?

Differential geometry deals with the study of properties of curves and surfaces using infinitesimal calculus, while integral geometry focuses on the study of the properties of integrals over geometric objects. In other words, differential geometry is concerned with the local properties of geometric objects, while integral geometry deals with their global properties.

4. How is differential geometry related to topology?

Differential geometry and topology are closely related fields of mathematics. While differential geometry studies the properties of smooth curves and surfaces, topology studies the properties of shapes that do not change under continuous deformation. Differential geometry uses tools from topology to understand the global properties of curves and surfaces, while topology uses concepts from differential geometry to study the local properties of shapes.

5. What are some famous theorems in differential geometry?

Some well-known theorems in differential geometry include the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which relates the curvature of a surface to its topology, the Fundamental Theorem of Curves, which characterizes the curves that are locally isometric to a straight line, and the Nash embedding theorem, which states that any smooth Riemannian manifold can be isometrically embedded into a higher-dimensional Euclidean space.