Calculating Net Force on Two Books: Explanation and Example

In summary: Sorry, ##\vec{F}## is parallel to the surface. Let me ask a follow up question now. Suppose the normal force didn't exist in this problem, so that there was nothing to cancel out gravity. This would not affect any of the calculations that I made above because gravity is acting perpendicularly to the forces in question. Right?Yes.
ConfusedMonkey
This is an example given in my textbook:

"On a frictionless horizontal surface, you push with a force ##\vec{F}## on a book of mass ##m_1## that in turn pushes on a book with a mass ##m_2##. What force does the second book exert on the first?"

First they calculate the acceleration of book 2. This is how they do it:

"The total mass of the two blocks is ##m_1 + m_2##, and the net force applied to the combination is ##\vec{F}##.

I want to make sure that I understand correctly why the net force is ##\vec{F}##. Here is my explanation:

I originally push book 1 with a force of ##\vec{F}##. Because of this, book 1 starts to accelerate in the direction of my push and thus exerts a force, say ##\vec{F_{12}}## on book 2, and by Newton's third law, book 2 then exerts a force, say ##\vec{F_{21}}## on book 1. Thus the net force of the system is ##\vec{F} + \vec{F_{12}} + \vec{F_{21}} = \vec{F} + \vec{F_{12}} - \vec{F_{12}} = \vec{F}##. Is my reasoning correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ConfusedMonkey said:
Here is my explanation:
That explanation works. You've just demonstrated the general principle that all the internal forces have to cancel; if A exerts a force on B then B must exert an equal and opposite force on A so forces between A and B cannot contribute to the net force on the system made up of A and B. Do a few more of these problems and you'll find yourself effortlessly recognizing and ignoring the internal forces.

Of course you will still need the internal forces when it comes time to apply ##F=ma## to each individual object.

Likes ConfusedMonkey
Did someone tell you the force ##\vec F## is parallel to the surface ? Because you sure didn't tell us !

ConfusedMonkey said:
Is my reasoning correct?
Yes. Gravity and the normal force from the surface cancel each other.

Likes ConfusedMonkey
BvU said:
Did someone tell you the force ##\vec F## is parallel to the surface ? Because you sure didn't tell us !

Yes. Gravity and the normal force from the surface cancel each other.

Sorry, ##\vec{F}## is parallel to the surface. Let me ask a follow up question now. Suppose the normal force didn't exist in this problem, so that there was nothing to cancel out gravity. This would not affect any of the calculations that I made above because gravity is acting perpendicularly to the forces in question. Right?

Somewhat artificial: the net force would have a component downwards (the books would start accelerating that way too...).

And: the books would not stay together without glue or velcro :smile:

Likes ConfusedMonkey
BvU said:
Somewhat artificial: the net force would have a component downwards (the books would start accelerating that way too...).

Ah, that makes sense - if ##(F_x, 0)## is the force I apply with my hand, then ##(F_x, -g)## would be the net force if the normal force did not exist - it's just that gravity wouldn't have any affect on the horizontal distance traveled by the books.

Is that last point right?

$$
(F_x, -{\bf m_1}g)$$on book 1 (which is on top of -- or underneath ? -- book 2). And it has no way to exert a force on book 2, so that experiences ##(0, -m_2g)## only

Likes ConfusedMonkey
It is beside book 2. Let me ask a question is more general: I know that if acceleration is constant, then the component of acceleration in one direction has no effect on the motion in a perpendicular direction. To me, this would remain true even if acceleration was not constant. Am I right?

ConfusedMonkey said:
It is beside book 2
Next time post the complete problem statement; can avoid endless misunderstandings :rolleyes:
ConfusedMonkey said:
true even if acceleration was not constant. Am I right?
As long as they are independent, yes. Comes in handy when projectile trajectories are considered.

BvU said:

Would Galileo agree with this?

We can't ask him any more. But I'm sure he would have appreciated a nice (sk)etching of the situation !

In my defence: that the books were beside each other instead of piled up wasn't revealed at that stage of the thread ... :wink:

Related to Calculating Net Force on Two Books: Explanation and Example

What is net force on two books?

The net force on two books is the overall force acting on both books together. It takes into account the individual forces acting on each book and their directions.

How do you calculate net force on two books?

To calculate the net force on two books, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the books. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you add them together. If they are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

What factors affect the net force on two books?

The net force on two books is affected by the individual forces acting on each book, as well as the weight and mass of each book. The distance between the books and the surface they are resting on can also impact the net force.

Can net force on two books be zero?

Yes, the net force on two books can be zero if the individual forces acting on each book are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This is known as a balanced force.

How does the net force on two books relate to their motion?

The net force on two books determines whether they will be at rest, moving at a constant speed, or accelerating. If the net force is zero, the books will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed. If the net force is non-zero, the books will accelerate in the direction of the net force.