Calculating Moment of Inertia for Outstretched Arms: 1/3 vs 1/12 Formula

In summary, the moment of inertia of the hands in the given problem is taken to be 1/12ML^2 (combined). However, some argue that it should be 1/3ML^2 due to the axis of rotation being near the shoulder. It is noted that in this simplified model, the rotation axis is actually through the center of the body. The difference would come into play if a more complex model was used, where each arm and hand were considered as separate rods attached at the shoulder, requiring the use of the parallel axis theorem. Ultimately, both calculations result in the same value for the moment of inertia.
Asad Raza

Homework Statement

Kindly see the screenshot attached below for the question.

Homework Equations

I=1/3ML^2
1/12ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In the solution to this question, the moment of inertia of the hands (when outstretched) is taken to be 1/12ML^2 (combined). I think that it should be 1/3ML^2 because the axis is near the shoulder. Also, wouldn't it make any difference if we are calculating the combined moment of the rods rather than calculating individually.

Attachments

• Screenshot_89.jpg
    Screenshot_89.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what you take as M and L. If you consider it as two end-pivoted rods I is 2*1/3ML2. If you consider it as one centre-pivoted rod of mass 2M and length 2L, I = 1/12*2M*(2L)2 =2/3ML2. As you are given the mass and length of the two outstretched arms together, you should use I = 1/12ml2

Asad Raza said:
In the solution to this question, the moment of inertia of the hands (when outstretched) is taken to be 1/12ML^2 (combined). I think that it should be 1/3ML^2 because the axis is near the shoulder.
In their simplified model they are considering the "arm and hand" rod to be a single rod passing through the axis of rotation. The rotation axis is definitely not at the shoulder! It passes vertically though the center of the body.

upload_2017-12-8_11-26-1.png

Also, wouldn't it make any difference if we are calculating the combined moment of the rods rather than calculating individually.
Moments of inertia sum algebraically, so no, if the rod is continuous.

What would make a difference is if you were to form a more complex model where each arm+had is considered as separate rod attached at the shoulders. The axis of rotation would still be through the center of the body, so you'd have to apply the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of the rods about an axis that is offset from the end of the rod.

upload_2017-12-8_11-35-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-8_11-26-1.png
    upload_2017-12-8_11-26-1.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 692
  • upload_2017-12-8_11-35-14.png
    upload_2017-12-8_11-35-14.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 550
Likes Delta2
Asad Raza said:
1/12ML^2 (combined). I think that it should be 1/3ML^2
It's the same thing. Each arm (measured from the spine) is length L/2, mass m/2. Applying the 1/3 formula for a rod about its end point that gives 1/3(m/2)(L/2)2 = mL2/24 for each arm, and a total of mL2/12.

Related to Calculating Moment of Inertia for Outstretched Arms: 1/3 vs 1/12 Formula

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how an object's mass is distributed around its rotational axis.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the rotational axis. This is also known as the moment of inertia equation: I = mr², where I is moment of inertia, m is mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the units are kg·m². In the imperial system, the units are slug·ft².

4. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important in understanding the behavior of objects in rotational motion. It affects how quickly or slowly an object will rotate, and how much force is needed to change its rotational motion.

5. How does moment of inertia differ from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different properties of an object. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia is a measure of how that mass is distributed around its rotational axis. In other words, an object with the same mass can have different moments of inertia depending on its shape and distribution of mass.