Calculating Moment of Force Produced at Point A

In summary, the force F of 200 lb is applied to the cable in order to raise the lamp post shown in the diagram. The resulting moment produced by F about point A is determined to be 1035.3 ft-lb. However, there is some confusion about the angle calculations and the perpendicular moment arm.
musicmar

Homework Statement

In order to raise the lamp post from the position shown, force F is applied to the cable. If F = 200 lb, determine the moment produced by F about point A. I've attached the diagram. I apologize for the terrible quality. The length of the post from A to B is 20 ft.

The Attempt at a Solution

MA=Fd
=200 lb (cos 75) (20 ft) = 1035.3 ft-lb

I think I somehow reasoned that the angle between AB and AC is 15°, so its complement is 75°. I said that the component of the force acting perpendicular to the moment arm is 200 cos 75. I know this is backwards from what it is supposed to be. It should be the force times the perpendicular component of the moment arm. I'm not sure that it matters much here, but I don't know how to describe the perpendicular moment arm.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG00082-20110203-2253.jpg
    IMG00082-20110203-2253.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
musicmar said:
I think I somehow reasoned that the angle between AB and AC is 15°, so its complement is 75°.

Total angle is 180 degree not 90 degree

I meant between F and an imaginary line perpendicular to the post at B, so the angle there would be 75 degrees. I don't think that's where my mistake is. If anything, it's what these angles mean.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Moment of Force Produced at Point A

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of force produced at point A?

The formula for calculating moment of force produced at point A is M = F*d, where M is the moment of force, F is the applied force, and d is the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

2. How do I determine the direction of the moment of force at point A?

The direction of the moment of force at point A can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the applied force and curl your fingers towards the point of rotation. The direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the moment of force.

3. What units are used to measure moment of force?

The units used to measure moment of force are newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. Can the moment of force at point A be negative?

Yes, the moment of force at point A can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the desired rotation, causing a clockwise rotation instead of a counterclockwise rotation.

5. How can I apply this concept in real-life situations?

The concept of calculating moment of force at point A is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and balance of structures, machines, and other systems. It can also be applied in everyday scenarios, such as opening a door or using a wrench to loosen a bolt.