Calculating Minimum Speed for Ballistic Pendulum with Attached Mass

In summary, the question asks for the minimum speed of a wad of putty, weighing 29 g, in order for it to collide and stick to a 1 m long stick with a total mass of 249 g, causing the stick to rise to a horizontal position. Using conservation of momentum and energy, the solution is found to be approximately 33.39 m/s. However, the incorrect assumption of the center of mass being at d instead of d/2 led to this answer being incorrect. The correct answer is slightly higher.
ArticMage

Homework Statement

A uniform stick d = 1 m long with a total mass of 249 g is suspended vertically from a frictionless pivot at its top end. A wad of putty of mass 29 g is moving horizontally with speed v. It strikes and sticks to the stick at a distance 0.75 m from the pivot.

What is the minimum speed of the putty such that the stick, with the putty stuck to it, will rise to the horizontal position?

Homework Equations

L=m*v*r
L=I*w
.5*I*w^2=m*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of momentum applies so first I have the angular momentum of just the putty with respect to the axis of the rod.
L=m*v*r
then just after the collision the rod has a angular momentum of
L=I*w
this gives me m*v*r/I=w which I use in a bit
The I = (1/3)M*d^2+m*r^2
Next, after the collision i use conservation of energy.
.5*I*w^2=(M+m)*g*h
h=cm=(M*d+m*r)/(M+m)
solving the above for w i get sqrt((2*g(M*d+m*r)/I)
now back to w=m*v*r/I gets me I/(m*r)*sqrt((2*g(M*d+m*r)/I) = v
this gets me 33.39 m/s which is wrong.
I tried without the cm stuff and just had h= 1 but that gets just about the same answer just a littler higher and also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of the stick is at d/2, not d. :smile:

argh why is it always something so simple.

thanks for the help though.

Related to Calculating Minimum Speed for Ballistic Pendulum with Attached Mass

1. What is a realistic ballistic pendulum?

A realistic ballistic pendulum is a device used to measure the velocity of a projectile by measuring the distance it can cause a pendulum to swing. It takes into account factors such as air resistance and the mass of the pendulum itself, making it a more accurate representation of real-world scenarios.

2. How does a realistic ballistic pendulum work?

A realistic ballistic pendulum works by firing a projectile into a pendulum that is initially at rest. The impact of the projectile causes the pendulum to swing to a certain height. By measuring this height and taking into account the mass of the pendulum and other factors, the initial velocity of the projectile can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a realistic ballistic pendulum?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of a realistic ballistic pendulum. These include air resistance, the mass of the pendulum, the angle at which the projectile is fired, and the distance between the pendulum and the point of impact. These factors must be carefully controlled and taken into account for accurate results.

4. How is a realistic ballistic pendulum different from a simple ballistic pendulum?

A realistic ballistic pendulum takes into account factors such as air resistance and the mass of the pendulum itself, while a simple ballistic pendulum assumes ideal conditions with no external factors. This makes the realistic version a more accurate representation of real-world scenarios.

5. What are the practical applications of a realistic ballistic pendulum?

A realistic ballistic pendulum is commonly used in ballistics research and in the design and testing of weapons. It can also be used in physics classrooms to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and to calculate the velocity of a projectile. Additionally, it can be used in forensic investigations to determine the velocity and trajectory of a bullet in a crime scene.