Calculating Mechanical Energy Change of 1100kg Car

In summary, the 1100 kg car at rest at the top of a hill gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy as it accelerates down the road, reaching a speed of 20 m/s after descending a height of 120 m. The total change in mechanical energy at that moment is 1.51 MJ. However, the answer may be incorrect as the KE at the bottom of the hill already includes the potential energy from the descent. The car loses potential energy due to its descent and gains kinetic energy due to its motion.
uno
1. A 1100 kg car at rest at the top of a hill accelerates down the road, reaching a speed of 20 m/s after descending a height of 120 m. What was its total change in mechanical energy (KE plus PEG) as of that moment in Megajoules?

2.KE = 1/2 mv^2 and PEg = mgh

3. I used the above formulas to figure out KE = 2.20E5 and PEg = 1.3E6. When I add both together, I get 1.51E6 and convert it to MJ = 1.51MJ. When I put in the answer, this is incorrect. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
uno said:
1. A 1100 kg car at rest at the top of a hill accelerates down the road, reaching a speed of 20 m/s after descending a height of 120 m. What was its total change in mechanical energy (KE plus PEG) as of that moment in Megajoules?

2.KE = 1/2 mv^2 and PEg = mgh

3. I used the above formulas to figure out KE = 2.20E5 and PEg = 1.3E6. When I add both together, I get 1.51E6 and convert it to MJ = 1.51MJ. When I put in the answer, this is incorrect. Am I missing something?

The KE at the bottom of the hill already includes the m*g*h from the descent. You probably want to just use the KE as the answer.

It starts high and ends low, so it LOSES potential energy. It starts at rest and finishes in motion, so it gains kinetic energy. (I think)

kraus is right: so how much mechanical energy does the car lose?

Related to Calculating Mechanical Energy Change of 1100kg Car

1. What is mechanical energy change?

Mechanical energy change refers to the difference in the amount of energy possessed by an object in motion compared to its initial state. It takes into account both the kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy stored due to position) of the object.

2. How is mechanical energy change calculated?

Mechanical energy change can be calculated using the formula ΔE=ΔK+ΔU, where ΔE is the change in mechanical energy, ΔK is the change in kinetic energy, and ΔU is the change in potential energy. This formula can be applied to any object in motion, including a 1100kg car.

3. What is the unit of measurement for mechanical energy change?

The unit of measurement for mechanical energy change is joules (J). This unit is a measure of energy and is equivalent to the force of one newton acting over a distance of one meter.

4. How does the mass of the car affect its mechanical energy change?

The mass of the car does not directly affect its mechanical energy change. However, the mass does play a role in determining the amount of kinetic and potential energy the car possesses. A heavier car will have more kinetic energy due to its greater mass, and a higher position car will have more potential energy due to its greater distance from the ground.

5. Can the mechanical energy change of a 1100kg car be negative?

Yes, the mechanical energy change of a 1100kg car can be negative. This would occur if the car loses energy, such as when it slows down or moves to a lower position. In this case, the change in kinetic and/or potential energy would be negative, resulting in a negative overall mechanical energy change.