Calculating Maximum Depth for a Sphere Dropped into Water

In summary, The conversation discusses the problem of determining the maximum depth a small sphere, which is 0.75 times as dense as water, will sink when dropped from a height of 11 m above a smooth lake. After using basic kinematics and setting the buoyant force equal to non-conservative work, the final answer is found to be 33 meters, taking into account the effect of gravity and the buoyant force. However, the initial assumption of neglecting any energy transferred to the water during impact and sinking is deemed to be a significant factor to consider.
islanderfan

Homework Statement

A small sphere 0.75 times as dense as water is dropped from a height of 11 m above the surface of a smooth lake. Determine the maximum depth to which the sphere will sink. Neglect any energy transferred to the water during impact and sinking.

for clarity's sake, I'm letting v = volume, and v = velocity

Homework Equations

vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, Fb = pgv, K = 1/2mv^2, Work(non conservative) = change in mechanical energy

The Attempt at a Solution

the first thing i did was basic kinematics to get a velocity of 14.68 m/s upon hitting the water.
next i set Fb equal to nonconservative work and i got pgv(d) = Kf -Ki...
simplified down i got it to pvg(d) = 1/2mv^2
= pvg(d) = 1/2pvv^2

at this point i cancled out the volumes and got a final equation of
1000*9.8*(d) = .5*750*(14.68^2)

this got me a final answer of 8.25 meters which seems to be too large, and in fact it was wrong.
can anyone find where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity still acts on the object when it's under water.

oh i see, but how do i take that into account? the buoyant force still is non conservative right?

Yes, buoyant force is the only non-conservative force acting (in this simplified problem).

You want the super-duper easy way to solve this? Measured from the final position of the object (distance d under the water), what's the total mechanical energy of the object just before it's dropped? After it reaches the final position? So what must the non-conservative work equal?

or can i make an Fnet equation

like, mg - Fb = ma

p(ball)vg - p(water)vg = p(ball)*v*a

volumes cancle, so => 750(9.8) -1000(9.8) = 750*a
this yielding an acceleration of 3.267 m/s^2

would that be a correct approach, or is what i just laid out above incorrect?

Nothing wrong with that approach. Go for it.

Doc Al said:
Yes, buoyant force is the only non-conservative force acting (in this simplified problem).

You want the super-duper easy way to solve this? Measured from the final position of the object (distance d under the water), what's the total mechanical energy of the object just before it's dropped? After it reaches the final position? So what must the non-conservative work equal?

ok so since there's potential at the top and nothing(?) at the end, can i say

p(water)vg(d) = p(ball)vgh

1000(d) = 750(11)

d = .12 meters?

i really appreciate the help

islanderfan said:
ok so since there's potential at the top and nothing(?) at the end, can i say

p(water)vg(d) = p(ball)vgh
That "h" has to be the total change in height, not just the height above the water surface.

Doc Al said:
That "h" has to be the total change in height, not just the height above the water surface.

ok that makes sense, but won't that leave me with two unknowns?

or can i make h = 11+d?

but when i did that i got a final d of 33 meters. this seems way too large to me

Looks OK to me. Solve it the other way and compare.

i just don't understand how it can sink that far...

btw thanks for all the help, i really understand how to solve this type of question now, i appreciate it, thanks!

islanderfan said:
i just don't understand how it can sink that far...
That's because you have some common sense. :smile:
The problem is the bogus assumption: "Neglect any energy transferred to the water during impact and sinking." That's a huge effect to ignore!

im still confused, my height above water was 12 instead of 11, and i tried what he did, with 1000(d)=750(12+d) because h=12+d... i got my h to be 48 and d to be 36... i tried both those answers and neither worked. his was the correct answer and I am pretty sure what i did is what he did... how did he get 33 for his final answer?

nvmmmm i used the wrong coefficients!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Maximum Depth for a Sphere Dropped into Water

1. What is a quick static fluids question?

A quick static fluids question is a problem that involves the study of fluids at rest, including liquids and gases, and requires a quick solution.

2. What are some real-life applications of quick static fluids questions?

Quick static fluids questions are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in designing pipelines, calculating water flow rates, and understanding the behavior of air in airplane wings.

3. How do you solve a quick static fluids question?

To solve a quick static fluids question, you will need to use the principles of fluid mechanics, including Bernoulli's equation, Pascal's law, and the continuity equation. You will also need to apply relevant equations and formulas and make assumptions about the fluid's properties.

4. What are some common challenges when solving quick static fluids questions?

Some common challenges when solving quick static fluids questions include accurately modeling the fluid's properties, accounting for all external forces acting on the fluid, and correctly applying the relevant equations and formulas.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving quick static fluids questions?

One helpful tip for solving quick static fluids questions is to draw a diagram of the problem and label all known and unknown variables. You should also carefully consider the assumptions you make and double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.