Buoyancy - Maximum mass a styrofoam sphere can hold in water.

In summary, the maximum mass that can hang without sinking from a 20.0-diameter Styrofoam sphere in water is 23.8kg, taking into account the buoyancy force and weight of the sphere. The radius and volume of the sphere were corrected from previous mistakes made during the solution process.
Masschaos

Homework Statement

Styrofoam has a density of . What is the maximum mass that can hang without sinking from a 20.0 -diameter Styrofoam sphere in water?
Assume the volume of the mass is negligible compared to that of the sphere.

Homework Equations

FB = ρfVg
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is as far as I can get.
The buoyancy force on the sphere is FB = ρfVg = 1000kg/m3 * pi * 0.22 * 9.8 = 333.54.
However we need to take into account the weight of the sphere.
The weight of the sphere = ρ*V = 300*pi*0.22 = 10.2
This means the net weight on the sphere is Fnet = 333.54 - (10.2*9.8) = 233.54
So the maximum weight that can be hung on the sphere must have a downward force of precisely that. mg = 233.54. m = 23.8kg.
But apparently that's not it, any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
well first off, the DIAMETER is 20 cm

Oh wow. Just a multitude of stupid mistakes!
The diameter is 20cm so the radius is 10cm. AND the volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi r^3, I was doing the area of a circle.
Argh, I'll hang my head in shame now.

Masschaos said:
Oh wow. Just a multitude of stupid mistakes!
The diameter is 20cm so the radius is 10cm. AND the volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi r^3, I was doing the area of a circle.
Argh, I'll hang my head in shame now.

heh, don't worry, we all make mistakes like that

I even saw one of my professors do the same thing in a lecture; he used the diameter instead of radius

Based on your calculations, it seems you have correctly determined the maximum mass that the styrofoam sphere can hold in water. However, it is important to note that this is only an approximation since the density of styrofoam can vary and the weight of the sphere itself may also vary. Additionally, there may be other factors at play such as surface tension and the shape of the mass being hung from the sphere. It would be beneficial to conduct experiments to determine the exact maximum mass that the sphere can hold under different conditions.

Related to Buoyancy - Maximum mass a styrofoam sphere can hold in water.

1. How is buoyancy defined?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object that is partially or completely submerged in it. It is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid.

2. What factors affect an object's buoyancy?

The buoyancy of an object is affected by its volume, density, and the density of the fluid it is submerged in. Objects with a greater volume or lower density will experience more buoyancy.

3. How does the principle of buoyancy apply to a styrofoam sphere in water?

The principle of buoyancy states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. A styrofoam sphere, being less dense than water, will experience a greater buoyant force than its weight, allowing it to float.

4. What is the maximum mass a styrofoam sphere can hold in water?

The maximum mass a styrofoam sphere can hold in water is equal to its own weight. Any additional weight added to the sphere will cause it to sink, as the buoyant force will no longer be greater than the weight of the object.

5. How can the maximum mass a styrofoam sphere can hold in water be calculated?

The maximum mass can be calculated by multiplying the volume of the styrofoam sphere by the density of water (1000 kg/m^3). This will give the maximum weight the sphere can displace, and any weight greater than this will cause it to sink.