Calculating Mass of a Photon - Why is it Zero?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a photon having mass, with one person using the equation E=mc2 to find the mass of a photon for fun. The conversation also touched on the idea of photons transferring energy to objects and potentially adding mass to them. However, it was concluded that photons do not have rest mass and the concept of mass for a photon is outdated. The conversation also mentioned a lower bound limit for the mass of a photon, but it was clarified that this is actually an upper limit.
Sothh
I know that a photon cannot have mass.

I know that a photon does carry energy, however.

So, just for fun I used E=mc2, to find out how much mass a photo would have.

This was mainly just to play around with the equation, but I found the answer interesting.

1.11265005605e-31 kilograms.

That is the mass of a single photon, even though I know its not.

What I don't know is why its not.

Science news on Phys.org
E = mc^2 is only valid for objects in their rest frames. A photon has no rest frame so that equation is invalid for a photon. A photon has momentum and this translates to a momentum density and momentum flux for a bunch of photons but that is not the same as rest mass.

You are using the wrong equation. E = mc2 is for a particle at rest, which a photon is not. For a particle in motion you need to use E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2. Since for light E = pc, if you will solve you will get m = 0.

Thanks!

I have always wondered about this.

If the photon transfers its energy to an object with a rest mass, then does it add mass to the object?

Sothh said:
Thanks!

If the photon transfers its energy to an object with a rest mass, then does it add mass to the object?

There are two things you might be interested in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering" occurs when a photon scatters off a particle and in turns, imparts some of it's energy to the particle and flies off with a smaller energy. However, the rest mass of the particle (What [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] really talks about) does not change; it simply gains kinetic energy.

There is also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production" where high energy photons can actually create massive particles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sothh said:

This was mainly just to play around with the equation, but I found the answer interesting.

Please start by reading the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

Sothh said:
Thanks!

In Einstein's second paper on relativity in 1905, he explicitly concludes:

"Radiation carries inertia between emitting and absorbing bodies". It is important that not only does something receive a "kick" from the momentum of the energy, but the internal inertia (i.e., the inertial mass) of the body is actually increased. (from mathpages.com)

Sothh said:

Among all this confusion, first [tex]E=Mc^2[/tex] is only good an an outdated concept of particles at rest - you need the relativistic formula [tex]E^2=M^2c^4+p^2c^2[/tex], but when I read your opening posts that photons cannot have a mass is simply wrong.

It does have a lower bound of mass at [tex]10^{-51}[/tex] g that is if one wants to believe it even has a mass of the ridiculously small length.

Last edited:
Sothh said:

I fully agree that the photon has no mass. But, one way to "weigh" this photon is to consider a box of mirrors mounted on a scale facing each other. Assume the "weight" of the mirrors on the scale is 1 kilogram. Say a photon goes by and does not get trapped by the mirrors. The scale will continue to be say exactly 1 kilogram.

Now, say the photon gets trapped by the mirrors and bounces back and forth between them. The scale will change and show a "weight" of slightly more then 1 kilogram (specifically, the mass equivalent of the photons energy).

In this way, you can view matter as trapped energy, it may be a vortex, mirrors, black holes or who knows what.

Goldstone1 said:
Among all this confusion, first [tex]E=Mc^2[/tex] is only good an an outdated concept of particles at rest - you need the relativistic formula [tex]E^2=M^2c^4+p^2c^2[/tex], but when I read your opening posts that photons cannot have a mass is simply wrong.

It does have a lower bound of mass at [tex]10^{-51}[/tex] kg that is if one wants to believe it even has a mass of the ridiculously small length.
?
Where did you get that figure?

HallsofIvy said:
?
Where did you get that figure?

I hope i said it in grams, but basically this is old-ish news:

http://aip.org/pnu/2003/split/625-2.html

Goldstone1 said:
I hope i said it in grams, but basically this is old-ish news:

http://aip.org/pnu/2003/split/625-2.html

That's not a "lower bound mass". That's the UPPER limit of the mass, meaning that the photon mass, IF it exist, has to be lower than that.

Zz.

Related to Calculating Mass of a Photon - Why is it Zero?

1. What is the mass of a photon?

The mass of a photon is zero.

2. How is it possible for a particle to have zero mass?

According to the theory of relativity, energy and mass are interchangeable. Photons are considered to be pure energy and do not have any rest mass. Therefore, their mass is calculated to be zero.

3. Why is it important to calculate the mass of a photon?

Calculating the mass of a photon helps us to understand the properties and behavior of light. It also plays a crucial role in various fields such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and particle physics.

4. Can a photon have a non-zero mass?

Based on current scientific knowledge, no. Photons are considered to be fundamental particles and have always been observed to have zero mass. However, there are some theories that suggest the existence of particles similar to photons but with non-zero mass.

5. How is the mass of a photon measured or calculated?

The mass of a photon is calculated using the formula E=mc², where E represents the energy of the photon and c is the speed of light. By substituting the known values for c and the energy of the photon, we can calculate its mass.