Calculating Mass from Centripetal Force Slope

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate mass from the slope of a line on a graph with T^2 on the y-axis and 1/f on the x-axis. The relevant equation is 4π^2mr/fc, but the person is unsure of how to use it in this situation. They also mention having a data table and a graph with y=0.7385x-0.0254, but they are unable to determine the mass from this. The conversation ends with the person giving up and accepting a lower grade on their report.
bbeaver

Homework Statement

How do you calculate the mass from slope of a line T^2 on y-axis and 1/f on x axis??

Homework Equations

4π^2mr/fc

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to attempt this. I have a data table and the graph has y=0.7385x-0.0254.
Obviously 0.7385 is the slope but I do not know what to use to get the mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation of the graph in terms of physical quantities?

T^2 = seconds and 1/F = N^-1

How and what apparatus is set up? What is the situation as regards Physics?

Nevermind, it is too late now. I will just have to take a lower grade on my report. Thanks anyway.

Related to Calculating Mass from Centripetal Force Slope

1. How do you calculate mass from centripetal force slope?

To calculate mass from centripetal force slope, you will need to use the formula m = Fc / (ω^2 * r), where m is the mass, Fc is the centripetal force, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

2. What is the relationship between centripetal force and mass?

The relationship between centripetal force and mass can be described by the formula Fc = m * (ω^2 * r), where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. This shows that centripetal force is directly proportional to mass.

3. What are the units of measurement for centripetal force and mass?

The unit of measurement for centripetal force is newtons (N), while the unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg). This means that the unit of measurement for centripetal force over mass would be N/kg or m/s^2.

4. Can you determine the mass of an object if the centripetal force and radius are known?

Yes, you can determine the mass of an object if the centripetal force and radius are known by rearranging the formula m = Fc / (ω^2 * r). This will give you the mass in kilograms (kg).

5. How does the radius of circular motion affect the calculation of mass from centripetal force slope?

The radius of circular motion has a direct impact on the calculation of mass from centripetal force slope. As the radius increases, the centripetal force decreases, resulting in a smaller mass value. On the other hand, as the radius decreases, the centripetal force increases, leading to a larger mass value.