Unsure of mechanics problem, circular door on hinge...

In summary, an open door has a center of gravity at G=255N and a reaction at the hinge in equilibrium, which results in a force along CB and a torque on A.
aaroon
1. In the attached imjage, the centre of gravity of an open door acts at G equal to 255N;
a) Determine the x,y,z, components of reaction at the hinge A in equilibrium
b) Determine the force along CB

Little stuck with this problem, obviously this falls under resolving forces. I assumed Az,Ay = 0 as gravity is acting straight down and Az= 255N - (verical component of reaction given by CB). Any help would be appreciated :)

[PLAIN]http://www.imgur.com/V9G2Kz7[/CENTER]​

Attachments

• 21303103739_b82b768150_o.jpg
    21303103739_b82b768150_o.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 451
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Aaroon, welcome to PF :smile: !

As much as I'd like to help you, I can't make heads or tails out of this post (well, see below...). Would you be so good as to sort out things using the template that accidentally got deleted (it is compulsory in PF, we in fact aren't allowed to assist if it's missing...) ?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
It seems they want the components of the force on A and along CB.

The lot is in equilibrium, so you should be able to set up a force balance plus a torque balance. The Ax , Ay and Az you provide don't give a balance in either of these two...

Is the line CB a strut that supports the door in the open position, ie door horizontal ?
Does the strut CB bear on a point on the circumference of the door, an angle theta from the y-axis ?

Baluncore said:
Is the line CB a strut that supports the door in the open position, ie door horizontal ?
Hi Baluncore, thanks for your reply, my understanding is CB supports the door in the open position as you say.

Baluncore said:
Does the strut CB bear on a point on the circumference of the door, an angle theta from the y-axis ?
That is also my question, I would assume so otherwise the angle has no purpose.

aaroon said:
I assumed Az,Ay = 0 as gravity is acting straight down and Az= 255N
Meaning the components of the reaction at the hinge? No, all three will be nonzero.
Are you expected to work in terms of resolved components or vectors (including vector products)? I suggest the second would be neater.

haruspex said:
Are you expected to work in terms of resolved components or vectors (including vector products)? I suggest the second would be neater.
I believe resolved components but haven't been told explicitly.

aaroon said:
I believe resolved components but haven't been told explicitly.
Have you worked with vector products?

aaroon said:
That is also my question, I would assume so otherwise the angle has no purpose.
The lack of a radius symbol suggests the strut contacts the circumference at the radius of 0.9m in direction theta.
I think the question has now been resolved, so I'll leave you to find the answers.

Related to Unsure of mechanics problem, circular door on hinge...

1. What is the cause of the circular door not closing properly?

The most likely cause of a circular door not closing properly on a hinge is misalignment. This could be due to loose screws or hinges, or the door itself may be warped or damaged.

2. How can I fix a circular door that won't stay closed?

If the door is not closing properly due to misalignment, you can try tightening the screws or adjusting the hinges to realign the door. If the door itself is damaged, it may need to be replaced.

3. Can lubricating the hinges help with a circular door that won't close?

In some cases, lubricating the hinges can help the door close more smoothly. However, if the issue is due to misalignment or damage, lubrication will not solve the problem.

4. Why does my circular door make a creaking noise when opening or closing?

Creaking noises from a circular door can be caused by a few different factors, such as loose hinges, worn out hinges, or lack of lubrication. Inspecting and properly maintaining the hinges can help eliminate this noise.

5. Is it possible to replace the hinges on a circular door?

Yes, it is possible to replace the hinges on a circular door. However, it may require some skill and tools to do so properly. If you are unsure about the mechanics of the door, it may be best to consult a professional for assistance.