Calculating Magnetic Force on Bent Wire in a Magnetic Field

In summary, a wire with a length of 95m and a diameter of 2.4mm has a resistance of 1.59Ohms and a potential difference of 103volts. A section of the wire measuring 15.5cm is bent into an arc of 60 degrees, with a magnetic field parallel to the bisector of the arc and a strength of B=1.4T. To find the magnetic force on the wire, the current is calculated using I = V/R, giving a value of 64.78 Amps. However, the magnetic field parallel to the bisector of the arc is still unknown.
blackbyron

Homework Statement

A wire of length 95m and a diameter of 2.4mm has a total resistance 1.59Ohms. The potential difference between the ends of the wire is 103volts. A section of the wire 15.5cm in length is bent into an arc of 60deg. The magnetic field is parallel to the bisector of the arc and has a strength of B=1.4T . What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the arc of wire?

Homework Equations

F = I*l*B*sin(Phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

parallel.jpg

I found the current by solving I = V/R which gives me 64.78 Amps.

Now the part I'm having trouble with is finding out the magnetic field that is parallel to the bisector of the arc. I don't think I understand this question The magnetic field is parallel to the bisector of the arc and has a strength of B=1.4T .

What are your suggestion on this one? And fyi, my teacher didn't lecture this topic yet, but the reason I want to do HW early is to have more time to study this so I can get good grade on the next test.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump I got the current, and the length. I'm still having trouble with finding the right B*sin(phi).

Related to Calculating Magnetic Force on Bent Wire in a Magnetic Field

1. What is a magnetic force?

A magnetic force is a type of force that is exerted between two objects with magnetic properties. It is caused by the interaction between magnetic fields and can either attract or repel the objects depending on their orientation.

2. How are magnetic forces created by currents?

Magnetic forces are created by the movement of electric charges, or currents. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is dependent on the strength of the current.

3. What is the relationship between the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic force?

The direction of the magnetic force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the right-hand rule, where if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic force.

4. How do magnetic forces affect the motion of charged particles?

Magnetic forces can cause charged particles to change direction and move in a curved path. This is because the magnetic force acts perpendicular to the velocity of the particle, causing it to accelerate in a circular motion.

5. How are magnetic fields and electric fields related?

Magnetic fields and electric fields are intertwined and can affect each other. A changing magnetic field can induce an electric field, and vice versa. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technological devices such as generators and transformers.