Calculating Magnetic Field Strength from Wire & Rod Currents

In summary, the question asks for the calculation of the magnetic field at a point between two parallel wires with different currents. The answer is 1.2 x 10^-5 T if the currents are in opposite directions and 4.0 x 10^-6 T if they are in the same direction. Another question involves finding the magnetic field strength at a certain distance from a copper rod with a current uniformly distributed across its cross-section. The answer is 2.5 cm from the centre of the rod. The equations used for these calculations involve the permeability of free space and the magnetic field due to an infinite wire. The magnetic fields can either reinforce each other or be in the opposite direction.
decamij
I'm kinda stuck on this question:

1. Calculate the magnitude ofthe magnetic f ield at a point midway between two
long, parallel wires that are 1 .0 m apar t and have currents of1 0.0 A and 20.0 A,
respectively, ifthe currents are (a) in opposite directions and (b) in the same
direction.

The answer is
(a) 1.2 x 10^-5 T
(b) 4.0 x 10^-6 T

2. Also, this question (i thought it was easy, but i kept on getting 4.0 x 10^-5, but the answer is 1.0 x 10^-5).

A long, solid, copper rod has a circular cross-section ofdiameter 10.0 cm. The
rod has a current of5.0 A, uniformly distributed across its cross-section.
Calculate the magnetic field strength 2.5cm from the centre of the rod.

P.S. At this point, the only equation i am using is
B = (mew)oI
2(pi)r
Where (mew)o is the is a proportionality constant,called the permeability of free space.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1)
Magnetic field due to an infinite wire is given by
[tex]\frac{\mu_0i}{2 \pi r}[/tex].
And the direction is the same as the direction of cross product of a vector along the current and another in the direction of r.

So, in one case the magnetic fields reinforce each other and in the other, are in the oppsite direction.

(2)
You need to replace the current by [tex]\frac{Ir^2}{R^2}[/tex] since the contribution to the magnetic field is only from the portion of current outside the 2.5 cm cylinder.

spacetime
www.geocities.com/physics_all

It has a value of 4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A.

First, let's address the calculation for the magnetic field strength between two parallel wires. The key to solving this problem is to use the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current in one wire, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

(a) In this case, the currents are in opposite directions, so the magnetic fields created by each wire will also be in opposite directions. Using the right-hand rule, we can see that the magnetic field at the point midway between the wires will be pointing downwards. To calculate the magnitude of the field, we can use the equation B = (mew)oI/2(pi)r, where (mew)o is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire. Plugging in the values, we get B = (4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A)(10.0 A)/2(pi)(0.5 m) = 1.2 x 10^-5 T.

(b) If the currents are in the same direction, the magnetic fields created by each wire will also be in the same direction. This time, using the right-hand rule, we can see that the magnetic field at the point midway between the wires will be pointing upwards. Plugging in the values into the same equation, we get B = (4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A)(30.0 A)/2(pi)(0.5 m) = 4.0 x 10^-6 T.

For the second question, we can use the same equation, but we need to take into account the fact that the current is distributed across the entire cross-section of the rod. This means we need to use the total current of the rod, which is given as 5.0 A. The distance from the center of the rod to the point where we want to calculate the magnetic field is 2.5 cm, which is equal to 0.025 m. Plugging in the values, we get B = (4pi x 10^-7 Tm/A)(5.0 A)/2(pi)(0.025 m) = 1.0 x 10^-5 T.

It's important to note that in this problem, the diameter of the rod is not relevant in

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field Strength from Wire & Rod Currents

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field strength from a wire current?

The magnetic field strength from a wire current can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to the point where the field is being measured.

2. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field strength from a rod current?

The magnetic field strength from a rod current can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / (2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the rod, and r is the distance from the center of the rod to the point where the field is being measured.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field strength?

The direction of the current affects the magnetic field strength by determining the direction of the magnetic field lines. The magnetic field lines will form concentric circles around a wire or straight lines along the length of a rod, and the direction of the current will determine the direction in which these lines are formed.

4. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field strength?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T), which is equivalent to N/(A*m) or kg/(A*s^2).

5. Can the magnetic field strength be measured at any point around the wire or rod?

Yes, the magnetic field strength can be measured at any point around the wire or rod, as long as the distance from the wire or rod and the direction of the current are known. The formula B = μ0 * I / (2πr) can be used to calculate the field strength at any point.