Calculating Magnetic Field Strength for a Simple Bar Magnet

• Thread starter Cheney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding equations for determining the magnetic field strength at a point on a plane due to a simple bar magnet. The speaker suggests looking in a book for an approximation, but acknowledges that it is not a trivial problem.
Cheney
If I have a simple bar magnet which is say 'w' x 'h' metres in dimension placed on a plane, say at cartesian coordinates (xM, yM), how can I work out the magnetic field strength at some arbitary point (x, y) also on that plane.

I've searched the internet but can only find equations to do with electomagnets or magnetism due to electic current. Nothing for a plane old chunk of iron.

I just need the equations, you can define the properties of the magnet such as how strong it is.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The strength of a magnet is not defined by just its size and composition.

- Warren

It's not a trivial problem even though it looks like one. There's no analytical solution that I know of.
You can find the eqs. for the field of a homogenously magnetized sphere in Jackson's book (section 5.10), that might do as an approximation.

Thanks arcnets, I will check out the book. After looking at the problem some more I agree that it is far from trivial.

I'll post if I have any more questions.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Field Strength for a Simple Bar Magnet

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a natural phenomenon characterized by the attraction or repulsion between objects with magnetic properties. It is caused by the movement of electrons within the atoms of a material, which creates a magnetic field.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field. This field is strongest at the poles of the magnet, where the magnetic force is concentrated. When two magnets are brought close together, they either attract or repel each other depending on the orientation of their poles.

3. What are the types of magnets?

There are two main types of magnets: permanent magnets and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of a material that is magnetized and retains its magnetic field, such as iron, cobalt, or nickel. Electromagnets are created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field.

4. How are magnets used in everyday life?

Magnets have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in speakers, motors, generators, and hard drives. Magnets are also used in medical equipment such as MRI machines, and in transportation systems like trains and magnetic levitation (maglev) trains.

5. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen due to exposure to high temperatures, physical demagnetization, or exposure to strong magnetic fields in the opposite direction. However, materials like iron can be magnetized again by aligning their domains with a strong external magnetic field.