Calculating Line Integrals Using Stokes' Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using Stokes' theorem to find a line integral for a vector F in Cartesian coordinates and a curve C given by a quarter-circle in the z-plane. The line integral was found to be 1/2 and the curl of F was also calculated. However, when using Stokes' theorem, the surface integral was found to be zero. It is pointed out that Stokes' theorem can only be used for closed contours and suggests doing the contour integral around the whole boundary of the quarter circle to get a result of zero. The conversation ends with gratitude for the solution.
Niles
[SOLVED] Calculus - Stokes' theorem

Homework Statement

I have F in Cartesian coordinates (F is a vector): F = (y , x , x*z) and a curve C given by the quarter-circle in the z-plane z=1 (so t : (cos(t) , sin(t) , 1) for t between 0 and Pi/4).

I have found the line integral, and it equals 1/2.

For fun I wanted to find the same line-integral using Stokes' theorem, so I find the curl of F to be (0 , -z , 0) and dS I find by finding the normalvector, which is the cross-product between n_r and n_t. This gives a z-component (of course) with magnitude r - but then the surface integral is zero?

Where is my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can only use Stokes theorem if you have a closed contour. Try doing the contour integral around the whole boundary of the quarter circle. Then you should get zero.

Ah man, of course; hadn't thought of that.

You saved me again, thanks.

Related to Calculating Line Integrals Using Stokes' Theorem

What is Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. It is named after Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes.

What is the significance of Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is significant because it relates two important concepts in vector calculus - surface integrals and line integrals. It allows for the calculation of a surface integral by evaluating a line integral, which can often be simpler and more efficient.

How is Stokes' theorem related to the divergence theorem?

Stokes' theorem is a generalization of the divergence theorem. While the divergence theorem relates a volume integral to a surface integral, Stokes' theorem relates a surface integral to a line integral. Both theorems are fundamental in understanding the behavior of vector fields.

What are the applications of Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It is used to calculate the circulation of a fluid flow and the flux of an electric field, among other things.

Is Stokes' theorem difficult to understand?

Stokes' theorem can be challenging to grasp at first, as it involves multiple concepts in vector calculus. However, with practice and a solid understanding of vector calculus, it can be understood and applied effectively. It is important to have a strong foundation in vector calculus before attempting to understand Stokes' theorem.