Calculating Internal Resistance and Maximizing Power Transfer in a 24V Supply

In summary, when a 24 volt supply is connected to a 40 ohm load resistor, the terminal voltage is 20 volts. To calculate the internal resistance of the supply, the equation V = E - Ir can be used, where V is the terminal voltage, E is the EMF of the cell, I is the current, and r is the internal resistance. In this case, the internal resistance is 4.8 ohms. Maximum power will be transferred to the load when the internal resistance is equal to the load resistance, in this case 40 ohms. Additionally, R is a shorthand notation for ohms and EMF refers to the voltage when no current is flowing.
licklecee

Homework Statement

A 24 voltt supply has a terminal voltage of 20 volts when connected to a 40R Load Resistor.

Calculate the internal resistance of the supply

State the conditions under which maximum power will be transferred to load.

Homework Equations

V = E - Ir

V = p.d. across resistor R
E = e.m.f. of the cell
I = current
r = internal resistance of the cell

The Attempt at a Solution

V = E - Ir

I = V/r
I = 24/20
I = 1.2 amps

V = 24 - ( 1.2 x 24 )

V = 4.8

Hi guys i was wondering if you could shed some light on this problem. I think i am right but i was stumped quite early and i have no electronics background. any assistance would be terrific. Also was wondering if there is a 24 volt supply and a terminal voltage of 24 volts after being conneted to 40R load resistor, does this mean the internal resistance is 4volts or 20 volts ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
licklecee said:
I = current
r = internal resistance of the cell
I = V/r
I = 24/20

No. I is not equal to V/r
To calculate the current, you need to take into account both R and r.
Also, what are the values of V and E from the problem statement?

Last edited:
Okay thank you, well they haven't actually provided the value of V and E. The known values are :

24 Volt Supply with a terminal voltage of 20 volts when connected to a 40R load resistor.

That is all the information that was provided, Also it says 40R, what does R refer to ?

Thank you very much !

It means the resistor is 40 ohms. Writing it as "40R" is the jargon of professional electrical engineers ... there actually are good reasons for this, but the reasons don't apply in introductory courses.

Question for you: what is the voltage across the 40 ohm resistor?

p.s. welcome to Physics Forums.

Thank you :),

Oh right so it's another way of saying ohms. Lovely,

It would be 20 volts i believe since the terminal voltage is 20 volts so that should be the voltage passing through the resistor.

Would the E.M.F. be referring to the voltage after the internal resistance has been taken into account ?

licklecee said:
Would the E.M.F. be referring to the voltage after the internal resistance has been taken into account ?
No, terminal voltage is the the voltage across the terminals of the battery after internal resistance has been taken into account.

Here are some links where you can read up a little about it.
http://www.coolschool.ca/lor/PH12/unit6/U06L04.htm"
http://www.iop.org/activity/education/Teaching_Resources/Teaching%20Advanced%20Physics/Electricity/EMF%20and%20Internal%20Resistance/page_3610.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
licklecee said:
Thank you :),

Oh right so it's another way of saying ohms. Lovely,

It would be 20 volts i believe since the terminal voltage is 20 volts so that should be the voltage passing through the resistor.
Yes.

EMF is the voltage when no current is flowing, i.e. the 24V in this case. (Not sure if that's what you meant.)

Related to Calculating Internal Resistance and Maximizing Power Transfer in a 24V Supply

What is internal resistance and how does it affect electrical circuits?

Internal resistance is the resistance within a circuit component, such as a battery or a wire. It is caused by the material properties of the component and can reduce the flow of current in a circuit. Higher internal resistance means that more energy is lost as heat and less is available to power the circuit.

What factors affect the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type of battery, its age, and its temperature. The material used for the electrodes and the electrolyte also play a role in determining the internal resistance.

How can internal resistance be measured and calculated?

Internal resistance can be measured by using a multimeter and calculating the voltage drop across a known resistor. It can also be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that internal resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current.

What are the effects of high internal resistance in a circuit?

High internal resistance can cause a decrease in the voltage and current in a circuit, leading to reduced performance and efficiency. It can also cause the battery to heat up, which can be dangerous and shorten its lifespan.

How can internal resistance be minimized?

Internal resistance can be minimized by using high-quality batteries and keeping them at the recommended operating temperature. Using thicker wires and reducing the length of the circuit can also help reduce internal resistance. Additionally, regularly maintaining and replacing old batteries can also help minimize internal resistance.