Batteries and Internal resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the internal resistance and terminal voltage of a 6.0 V battery when connected to an external resistor. The internal resistance is found to be 0.556 ohm and the external resistor is 32.78 ohm. The conversation then moves on to solving for the energy dissipated inside the battery in 4.4 minutes and the resulting current when a second identical battery is added in series and the external resistor is 29 ohm. Kirchhoff's voltage law is suggested as a way to solve the problem and links are provided for further understanding. The conversation also clarifies that the internal resistance remains the same when another identical battery is added in series.
sabak22
A 6.0 V battery has an internal resistance r. The measured voltage (emf of the battery) is 6.0 V. When connected to a resistor R the terminal voltage is 5.9 V and the current is 0.18 A.
I managed to get a) What is the internal resistance r of the battery?
0.556 ohm

as well as b) What is the value of the external resistor R?
32.78 ohm

but i can't figure out what to do when they ask me
c) What is the energy dissipated inside the battery in 4.4 minutes?

and d)When a second identical battery is added in series and the external resistor is R = 29 Ohms what is the resulting current?

Please help me. I have been trying this for an hour!

Physics news on Phys.org
c) Power dissipated inside the battery would be

[tex]I^2r[/tex]

where r is the internal resistance. once you get power, find the energy consumed inside the battery...

for part d) , set up Kirchhoff's equation again...

Thank you very much isaacNewton. But I am not quite sure how to solve the d part. Could you please expand a little bit? I am having trouble setting up the second identical battery in the circut.

have you learned how to use Kirchhoff's rule ?

umm all we've learned this week was that Iin=Iout. Is that supposed to help me? I don't know what to with it.

you should get some understanding of the voltage law to solve the problem

just a quick question. will the two internal resistances be the same now that another identical battery has beenhadded? If yes then will the r= 0.556 like it was in the first case?

yes, the internal resistance is the same... its the property of the battery...
but now you have two similar batteries in series...

Edit: which book your teacher is following ?

so what I am getting is something like this :

6-0.556-32.78i1-6-0,556-29i2 = 0

Does this make any sense? if not can you please boost me with a little help.

see, the batteries and the external resistor are in SERIES, so there is only one current throughout.

draw a circuit to help you

Moderator's note: thread moved to Homework & Coursework Questions.

Related to Batteries and Internal resistance

1. What is internal resistance in batteries?

Internal resistance in batteries refers to the resistance within the battery itself that impedes the flow of electric current. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used to construct the battery and can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the battery.

2. How does internal resistance affect battery life?

Internal resistance can affect battery life by causing the battery to lose voltage and power more quickly. This is because the resistance within the battery creates heat, which can lead to energy loss and decreased battery capacity over time.

3. How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance can be measured by using a multimeter to measure the voltage drop across the battery terminals while a known current is passing through it. The internal resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R=V/I).

4. Can internal resistance be reduced?

Yes, internal resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance in the construction of the battery. Additionally, keeping the battery at a consistent temperature and avoiding high discharge rates can also help reduce internal resistance and prolong battery life.

5. What are the effects of high internal resistance in batteries?

High internal resistance can lead to decreased battery performance, shorter battery life, and increased heat generation. This can also result in voltage drops and lower power output from the battery, making it less efficient and reliable.