Calculating Intensity Variation in Superposition of Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the intensity variation with respect to theta using equations for y(r,t) with different values for P and phi. The main concern is determining the signs in front of phi and kd in the equations. The speaker is having difficulty understanding the problem setup and is unsure if there is an error or inconsistency in the solution manuals.
leopard
aw56pu.jpg

Figure on top:
[tex]P_{1}= (1/16)W, P_{2}=1W, P_{3}= 16W[/tex], and I want to calculate how the intensity varies with [tex]\theta[/tex]

[tex]y(r,t) = y_{2}(r,t)[1 + 4e^{i(\phi_{3} - \phi_{2} + kdsin \theta} + \frac{1}{4} e^{i(\phi_{1} - \phi_{2} - kd sin \theta)}][/tex]

I understand how to proceed here, I just want to know how to determine whether it's + or - in front of [tex]\phi[/tex]s and [tex]kdsin \theta[/tex]

Bottom figure:

[tex]P_{1}=P_{2}=P_{3} = 10W[/tex], same problem.

[tex]y(r,t)=y_{1}(r,t)[1 + e^{i(\phi_{2} - \phi_{1} + kd cos \theta)} + e^{i(\phi_{3} - \phi_{1} + kd sin \theta)}][/tex]

Is it just me, or is there an incoherence here, as how to determine the signs? Both are from exam solution manuals at my university, so it should be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having a hard to following the problem setup. Is this some sort of phased array? What is y2?

Related to Calculating Intensity Variation in Superposition of Waves

What is meant by intensity variation in superposition of waves?

Intensity variation in superposition of waves refers to the change in overall intensity or brightness of a wave when two or more waves overlap or interfere with each other. This can result in areas of increased or decreased intensity depending on the phase relationship between the waves.

How is intensity variation calculated in superposition of waves?

Intensity variation is calculated by finding the resultant wave from the superposition of the individual waves and then determining the amplitude, or height, of the resultant wave at any given point. This amplitude can then be used to calculate the intensity of the wave at that point using the equation I = A^2, where I is the intensity and A is the amplitude.

What factors can affect the intensity variation in superposition of waves?

The intensity variation in superposition of waves can be affected by several factors, including the amplitude and wavelength of the individual waves, the phase difference between the waves, and the distance from the source of the waves. Additionally, the medium through which the waves are traveling can also affect the intensity variation.

How does the phase difference between waves affect the intensity variation in superposition of waves?

The phase difference between waves can greatly impact the intensity variation in superposition of waves. When the waves have a phase difference of 0 degrees (in-phase), their amplitudes will add together, resulting in areas of increased intensity. However, when the waves have a phase difference of 180 degrees (out-of-phase), their amplitudes will cancel each other out, resulting in areas of decreased intensity.

Can the intensity variation in superposition of waves be observed in real-world scenarios?

Yes, intensity variation in superposition of waves can be observed in many real-world scenarios, such as in the interference patterns of sound or light waves, the formation of standing waves, and the behavior of ocean waves. It is also a key concept in many technological applications, including noise-cancelling headphones and optical illusions.