Calculating Int. ∫D (6x+12y) dA using Change of Variables

In summary, when finding the new intervals of integration for the transformation, make sure to consider both the x and y values, and when plugging into the integral, use the absolute value of the Jacobian and the correct equations for the lines.
shards5

Homework Statement

Suppose D is the parallelogram in the xy-plane with vertices P(-1,5), Q(1,-5), R(5,-1), S(3,9)
[tex] \int\int ^{}_{D} (6x+12y) dA [/tex]
HINT: Use transformation x = [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex](u+v) and y = [tex]\frac{1}{6}[/tex] (-5u+v).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating the Jacobian I get
dx/du = 1/6 dx/dv = 1/6
dy/du = -5/6 dy/dv = 1/6
which gives me
1/36 - (-5/36) = 1/6
From there I need the new intervals of integration.
P-Q
[tex]\frac{5-(-5)}{-1-(1)}[/tex] = 10/-2 = -5
y = 5x + 5 -> plugging in . . .
-5/6u+1/6v = -5/6u - 5/6v + 5 -> u cancels out and then we get 6/6v = 5 which means v = 5
S-R
[tex]\frac{9-(-1)}{3-5}[/tex] = -5
y = -5x + 9
-5/6u+1/6v = -5/6u+5/6v + 9 -> v = 9
R-Q
[tex]\frac{(-1)-(-5)}{5-1}[/tex] = 1
y = x-1 -> -5/6u + 1/6v = 1/6u +1/6v -1 -> u = 1
S-P
[tex]\frac{(9-(5)}{3-(-1)}[/tex] = 1
y = x-9 -> -5/6u +1/6v = 1/6u + 1/6v - 9 -> u = 9

Plugging in the x and y values and the Jacobian into the integral we get the following new integral.
[tex] \int^{9}_{5}\int^{9}_{1} (u+v + (-10u+2v)) * 1/6 dudv [/tex]
which simplifies to . . .
[tex] \int^{9}_{5}\int^{9}_{1} (-4/3u+1/2v) dudv [/tex]
After the first integration I get . . .
[tex] \int^{9}_{5} (-2/3u^2+1/2v*u) dudv [/tex]
Plugging in 9 and 1 I get
-54-9/2v+50/3-5/2v = -37.33333 - 7v
Integrating what I got I get
-37.33333v - 7/2v2
And after plugging in 9 and 5 I get -345.333
which is wrong. So what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

There are a few mistakes in your solution. First, when calculating the Jacobian, you need to use the absolute value of the determinant, so it should be 1/6 + 5/6 = 2/3, not 1/6 - (-5/6) = 1/6 + 5/6 = 2/3.

Secondly, when finding the new intervals of integration, you need to consider both the x and y values, not just one. For example, for P-Q, you correctly found that the slope is 5, but you also need to use the point (1,-5) to find the equation of the line, which is y = 5x - 10. Similarly, for S-R, the slope is -5, but the point (5,-1) gives the equation y = -5x + 24.

Finally, when plugging in the Jacobian and the new intervals of integration into the integral, you should have (-4/3u + 1/2v + 6u + 2v) instead of (-4/3u + 1/2v + (-10u + 2v)).

Correcting these mistakes should give you the correct answer.

Related to Calculating Int. ∫D (6x+12y) dA using Change of Variables

1. How do you calculate the integral of a function using change of variables?

To calculate the integral of a function using change of variables, you first need to identify a change of variables that will simplify the integration. This typically involves substituting new variables for the original ones and using the Jacobian determinant to transform the integral. Once the integral is transformed, you can evaluate it using the appropriate integration techniques.

2. What is the purpose of using change of variables in integration?

The purpose of using change of variables in integration is to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate. By substituting new variables, you can often transform the integral into a form that is easier to integrate using techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

3. Can you provide an example of how to use change of variables in integration?

Sure, for example, if we have the integral ∫D (6x+12y) dA, we can use the change of variables u = 6x+12y and v = x-y to transform it into ∫D u dA. Then, using the Jacobian determinant, we can rewrite this as ∫D u * |J| du dv, where J is the determinant of the Jacobian matrix. This new integral can be evaluated using standard integration techniques.

4. What are some common substitutions used in change of variables for integration?

Some common substitutions used in change of variables for integration include u-substitution, trigonometric substitutions, and polar coordinates. These substitutions are often used to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

5. Are there any special considerations when using change of variables in integration?

Yes, there are a few special considerations to keep in mind when using change of variables in integration. One is that the region of integration may need to be adjusted to match the new variables. Additionally, the Jacobian determinant must be taken into account when transforming the integral. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the new variables that may affect the limits of integration.