Calculating Impact Time in Two Rugby Players Collision

• Thread starter TheShapeOfTime
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing two physics problems involving acceleration and distance. In the first problem, two rugby players are running towards each other at different speeds and the question is how long it will take for them to meet. In the second problem, Superwoman must catch a person who is falling from a certain height and the question is what her acceleration must be in order to do so. The conversation includes suggestions and strategies for solving the problems, such as considering one person at rest and using the equation for distance to find the time.
TheShapeOfTime
I don't have any work yet to show because each question has some element that I don't know how to resolve.

#1. Two rugby players are running towards each other. They are 37 m apart. If one is accelerating from rest at 0.5 m/s^2 and the other was already moving at 3.1 m/s and maintains her speed, how long before they crunch together?

* I did a questioin like this but both people where going at a constant speed. How do I account for the person accelerating?

[tex] \frac{x}{?} = \frac{37 - x}{3.1}[/tex]

#2. Superwoman is hovering above the ground when a person free-falling goes by her at terminal velocity of 140 km/h. Unfortunately, the parachute does not open. If it takes her 1.9 s to realize the person is in distress, what must her acceleration be if she is to catch the person just before she hits the ground 1000m below?

* I guess I could find the distance she traveled in the 1.9 s and substract it from 1000. Not sure where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Try thinking about the problem as if one of the two people were not moving at all.

2. I guess I could find the distance she traveled in the 1.9 s and substract it from 1000. Thats a good start. If superwoman (wonder woman, superman?) is to catch the person right before the person hits the ground than they both must reach the ground at the same time. Which means the time it takes for both of them must be the same. Try finding out the time and than see what you can say about superwomans acceleration.

1.Let the players crunch(meet) after time t.As they meet,they are at the same position.So the distance traveled by the 1st person=distance traveled by the 2nd + initial distance b/w them(here,37m)
Now i think you can do it.Just use expression for distance(x=u*t +.5at^2)

poolwin2001 said:
1.Let the players crunch(meet) after time t.As they meet,they are at the same position.So the distance traveled by the 1st person=distance traveled by the 2nd + initial distance b/w them(here,37m)
Now i think you can do it.Just use expression for distance(x=u*t +.5at^2)

Are you sure their distance traveled (before colliding) will be the same if they're moving at different speeds?

Parth Dave said:
1. Try thinking about the problem as if one of the two people were not moving at all.

2. I guess I could find the distance she traveled in the 1.9 s and substract it from 1000. Thats a good start. If superwoman (wonder woman, superman?) is to catch the person right before the person hits the ground than they both must reach the ground at the same time. Which means the time it takes for both of them must be the same. Try finding out the time and than see what you can say about superwomans acceleration.

1. Still not sure what to do here, I'll keep thinking.

2. So if I find the time before the person hits, I can just use that and the distance to find superwoman's acceleration? Doesn't this exclude the 1.9 s entirely? Does it even matter in the first place?

Related to Calculating Impact Time in Two Rugby Players Collision

1. How do you determine the impact time in a collision between two rugby players?

The impact time in a collision between two rugby players can be determined by using the formula: Impact time = (2 x distance between players) / (sum of their speeds). This formula is based on the principles of physics and takes into account the distance between the players and their initial speeds.

2. What factors affect the impact time in a rugby collision?

The impact time in a rugby collision can be affected by several factors, including the speed and mass of the players, the distance between them, and the angle at which they collide. Other factors such as the players' body positioning and technique can also play a role in the impact time.

3. Can the impact time be reduced in a rugby collision?

Yes, the impact time in a rugby collision can be reduced by decreasing the distance between the players, or by decreasing their initial speeds. Proper tackling techniques and body positioning can also help reduce the impact time and minimize the force of the collision.

4. How is calculating the impact time important in rugby?

Calculating the impact time in rugby is important for player safety. By understanding the impact time, coaches and players can work on strategies to minimize the risk of injuries and collisions during gameplay. It can also help in the development of proper tackling techniques and training programs.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating impact time in rugby?

Calculating impact time in rugby is based on simplified physics principles and does not take into account variables such as player reactions and body movements. It should also be noted that the impact time may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the collision. Therefore, while it can provide valuable information, it should not be the only factor considered when assessing player safety in rugby collisions.