Calculating Image Size of Dropped Ball from a Concave Mirror

In summary, the problem involves a concave mirror with a focal length of 1 meter and a 7cm diameter styrofoam ball dropped from a tree 3 meters above the mirror. The goal is to determine the distance above the mirror where the image and object sizes are equal. This can be found using equations for magnification and substitution with the 1/f = 1/Do - 1/Di formula. Once the distance is found, kinematics can be used to find the time it takes for the ball to fall to that height.
patton_223

Homework Statement

"a concave mirror is placed horizontally on the ground with a focal length of 1 meter, a boy sitting on a tree above the mirror drops a 7cm diameter styrofoam ball right over the mirror 3 meters high, determine when the image will be the same size of the ball"

Homework Equations

1/f= 1/Di + 1/Do

The Attempt at a Solution

i've found the distance of image when the ball is at 3M but i really don't know what to do from there. i honestly think there is no way of finding it, i think there's something missing (i may be wrong though lol)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello patton_223,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
patton_223 said:
i've found the distance of image when the ball is at 3M but i really don't know what to do from there. i honestly think there is no way of finding it, i think there's something missing (i may be wrong though lol)
Look up in your textbook/coursework about magnification (usually expressed with the variable M). You can express M as a ratio of image to object distances, and you can also express it in terms of a ratio of image size to object size. Combining equations and using substitution (including your 1/f = 1/Do - 1/Di formula), you can solve for the distance above the mirror.

By the way, "3 m high" means that the ball is 3 m above the mirror when time t = 0. Once you find the distance above the mirror where the image and object sizes are equal, use kinematics to find the time it takes for the ball to fall to that height.

Related to Calculating Image Size of Dropped Ball from a Concave Mirror

1. How do you calculate the image size of a dropped ball from a concave mirror?

To calculate the image size of a dropped ball from a concave mirror, you can use the formula: magnification = image distance/object distance. The image distance is the distance from the image to the mirror, and the object distance is the distance from the object to the mirror.

2. What is the difference between the object distance and the image distance?

The object distance is the distance from the object to the mirror, while the image distance is the distance from the image to the mirror. These distances are measured along the optical axis, which is an imaginary line passing through the center of the mirror.

3. How do you determine the sign of the magnification in this calculation?

The sign of the magnification can be determined by looking at the relative positions of the object and the image. If the image is upright and located on the same side of the mirror as the object, the magnification will be positive. If the image is inverted and located on the opposite side of the mirror from the object, the magnification will be negative.

4. Can a concave mirror produce a virtual image of a dropped ball?

Yes, a concave mirror can produce a virtual image of a dropped ball. This can occur when the object is placed between the center of curvature and the focal point of the mirror. In this case, the image will be upright and located behind the mirror, but it will appear to be in front of the mirror when viewed by an observer.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the image size of a dropped ball from a concave mirror?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the image size, such as the size and shape of the mirror, the distance between the object and the mirror, and the angle at which the ball is dropped. These factors can impact the magnification and the final size of the image.