Calculating Heat Energy Changes in a Water and Ice System

In summary: Q= .093 × 4200×57 = 22264 JIt's not at all clear where you are getting those numbers from. It's much better to do the working in symbols, only plugging in numbers at the end. At the least, please show how each of those numbers comes from your raw data.just please take the ice as 0°Cjust please take the ice as 0°CThank you for your input. In summary, the mass of cup 1.78g lost heat energy at an initial temperature of 27°C and then gained heat energy as its temperature rose from 0°C to 92°C. This caused the cup to weigh 1.78
Ravi Ramdoolar

Homework Statement

mass of cup 1.78g
initial mass of water and cup - 54.26g
finlal mass of water after ice added - 91.26g
initial temperature - 27°C
temperature after heated - 92°C
temperature after ice added - 35°C

problem
1) how much heat energy did the original mass of water lose?
2) what is the gain in the energy of the melted ice as its temperature rose from 0°C
3)calculate the amount of heat energy required to melt the ice

Homework Equations

Q = mcΔθ
Q = mLv

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Q= .093 × 4200×57 = 22264 J

I am not sure if this is correct i don't know what to do for the other two including this one could someone help me please :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ravi Ramdoolar said:

Homework Statement

mass of cup 1.78g
initial mass of water and cup - 54.26g
finlal mass of water after ice added - 91.26g
temperature after heated - 92°C
temperature after ice added - 35°C

problem
1) how much heat energy did the original mass of water lose?
2) what is the gain in the energy of the melted ice as its temperature rose from 0°C
3)calculate the amount of heat energy required to melt the ice

Homework Equations

Q = mcΔθ
Q = mLv

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if this is correct i don't know what to do for the other two including this one could someone help me please :confused:
Welcome to PF Ravi.

First you should give us the complete problem as written. There is some information missing here. What is the cup made of? Second, you must explain your reasoning and tell us where you get these numbers.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Welcome to PF Ravi.

First you should give us the complete problem as written. There is some information missing here. What is the cup made of? Second, you must explain your reasoning and tell us where you get these numbers

AM

the cup is made out of styro foam an it was an experiment an that was the results

Ravi Ramdoolar said:
How is that relevant?
Are you sure the ice was at 0C?
It's not at all clear where you are getting those numbers from. It's much better to do the working in symbols, only plugging in numbers at the end. At the least, please show how each of those numbers comes from your raw data.

haruspex said:
How is that relevant?

Are you sure the ice was at 0C?

It's not at all clear where you are getting those numbers from. It's much better to do the working in symbols, only plugging in numbers at the end. At the least, please show how each of those numbers comes from your raw data.
just please take the ice as 0°C

Ravi Ramdoolar said:
just please take the ice as 0°C

an the initial temperature was 27°C of the water beforeheat was applied

Ravi Ramdoolar said:
an the initial temperature was 27°C of the water beforeheat was applied
Yes, I understand that, but I don't see how it is relevant to the questions. They all seem to concern what happened after the water had been heated.

Related to Calculating Heat Energy Changes in a Water and Ice System

What is latent heat of fusion?

Latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change a substance from a solid phase to a liquid phase without a change in temperature. It is a specific type of latent heat that is specific to the fusion or melting process.

How is latent heat of fusion different from specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to change the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Latent heat of fusion, on the other hand, is the amount of heat required to change the phase of a substance without a change in temperature. They are both measures of the energy needed to change a substance, but they apply to different processes.

What factors affect the latent heat of fusion?

The latent heat of fusion is affected by the type of substance, the pressure, and the temperature. Different substances have different latent heat values and the amount of pressure and temperature can also impact the amount of energy needed for fusion.

Why is latent heat of fusion important in everyday life?

Latent heat of fusion is important in everyday life because it is involved in many common processes such as cooking, refrigeration, and melting of ice. It is also important in understanding the properties of different substances and how they behave when heated or cooled.

How is latent heat of fusion measured and calculated?

Latent heat of fusion can be measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the amount of heat released or absorbed during a phase change. It can also be calculated using the formula Q = mL, where Q is the heat absorbed or released, m is the mass of the substance, and L is the latent heat of fusion for that substance.