Calculating Half-Life from Radioactive Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the decay of a radioactive material after 25 years. The question is asking for the half-life of the material. Various equations and attempts at solving the problem are discussed, including using a decay constant and the formula X= C(1/2)^{t/T}. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to solve for T by setting up an equation with the initial amount and the remaining amount.
sklotz

Homework Statement

After 25 years, 60% of a radioactive material decays. What is the half-life?

Homework Equations

I used a ratio of 25/.60= x/.50

The Attempt at a Solution

I also tried this ratio as 25/.40= x/.50 I am not really sure what equation I should be using but this ratio set up isn't getting me the correct answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Decay is an exponential dcay. That is:

N(t) = N(t0)e-k(t-t0)

where N(t) is the amount at some time t, N(t0) is the amount at time t0, and k is the decay constant.

Ok so I tried using this equation but I still got the problem wrong. I used these values:
N(t)= .6 N(t0)=1 t=25 and t0= 0. I then solved the equation for the decay constant and got: k=.020433025. From my book I found an equation that related the half-life and the decay constant. The equation I used was half-life= ln2/k. from this I got 33.9228861414. This is similar to the answer I got from doing the ratios, and was wrong. I only have one more attempt for full credit and I don't know exactly where I went wrong.

Note that N(t) represents the amount of radioactive substance that still remains at time t. So, if 60% has decayed, what % remains?

If you think about it, the half-life should be less than 25 years since more than half has decayed at 25 years.

Because you are talking about half life, in particular, I would use the formula (equivalent to the "e" formula TSny gives) [itex]X= C(1/2)^{t/T}[/itex] where C is the initial amount and T is the half life. (You can see that if t=0, [itex]C(1/2)^{0/T}= C[/itex] and if t= T, [itex]C(1/2)^{T/T}= C/2[/itex].)

If 60% has decayed then 40% is left so [itex].4C= C(1/2)^{25/T}[/itex]. The two "C"s will cancel leaving an equation to solve for T.

Related to Calculating Half-Life from Radioactive Decay

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, ultimately forming a stable nucleus. This process occurs naturally in some elements and can also be induced artificially.

What is half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample of a radioactive isotope to decay. It is a measure of the rate at which a substance decays.

How is half-life calculated?

Half-life is calculated using the formula t1/2 = (ln 2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln is the natural logarithm, and λ is the decay constant. The decay constant is a unique characteristic of each radioactive isotope.

What is the relationship between half-life and decay constant?

The decay constant is inversely proportional to the half-life. This means that the smaller the half-life, the larger the decay constant, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation λ = ln 2/t1/2.

How is half-life used in practical applications?

Half-life is used in a variety of practical applications, including radiocarbon dating, medical imaging, and nuclear energy production. It is also used in determining the shelf life of pharmaceuticals and food products.