Calculating G Using an Inclined Track

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding the value of gravity through an experimental lab using a cart traveling down a sloped track. They are unsure if their calculated y-acceleration of approximately 9.8 m/s/s is correct or if it should be proportionally related to the angle of the track. The speaker also mentions taking measurements and calculations to find the angle of the track and mentions the possibility of friction and air resistance, but notes that these factors are being limited in the experiment. The expert suggests that if friction is negligible, the measured acceleration will be gsin(angle).
jpm_iv
I need to experimentally find gravity using information from a lab we finished last week. Should I not be getting 9.8 m/s² at each angle or am I doing something wrong? And if I should indeed be getting ≈9.8 m/s² as my y-acceleration, can you point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get more help if you give a diagram of the apparatus used and the measurements taken.

Sorry for being unspecific, I was looking more for a general answer. But we had a cart travel down a sloped track, had times recorded at A and B, along with a time taken to travel from A to B, all of which were known distances. This was used to calculate v1, v2, and a. Then we had taken two height measurements 60cm apart, and used this to find the angle of the track to the table. Then I multiplied the calculated acceleration by sine of the angle to get y-acceleration. Basically should this y-acceleration be ≈9.8 m/s/s or should it be proportionally related like y-acceleration/angle = g/90?

Were there any other forces parallel to the track besides a component of the weight of the cart?

Nothing was applied to the cart directly, it was just set at the top and then released. Obviously there are factors of friction and air resistance, but this is the third week of a high school mechanics course and we're limiting everything to kinematics.

If friction is negligible (eg air track) then the measured acc will be gsin(angle between track and horizontal)

Okay, that gives me more consistent results. I had been solving for g by g=asin.

Related to Calculating G Using an Inclined Track

1. How do you calculate the acceleration due to gravity using an inclined track?

To calculate the acceleration due to gravity using an inclined track, you will need to measure the angle of the incline, the distance the object travels down the incline, and the time it takes for the object to travel that distance. Then, you can use the formula a=g(sinθ) to calculate the acceleration due to gravity, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What equipment do I need to calculate G using an inclined track?

You will need an inclined track, a small object to roll down the track (such as a marble or ball), a stopwatch, a protractor to measure the angle of the incline, and a ruler to measure the distance the object travels.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration due to gravity?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration due to gravity because the steeper the incline, the greater the component of gravity pulling the object down the incline. This means that the acceleration will be higher for a steeper incline compared to a shallower incline.

4. Can I use any type of object to calculate G using an inclined track?

Yes, you can use any object that can roll smoothly down the inclined track. However, it is important to ensure that the object is small and light enough that air resistance and friction are negligible.

5. How accurate is calculating G using an inclined track?

The accuracy of your results will depend on the precision of your measurements and the equipment used. With careful measurements and proper techniques, you can obtain fairly accurate results. However, it is important to note that this method is not as accurate as other methods of calculating the acceleration due to gravity, such as using a pendulum or a high-precision instrument like a gravimeter.