Acceleration decrease on inclined air track

In summary, the speaker is experiencing a downward trend in acceleration while the velocity and time are increasing, despite expecting a constant acceleration. They are also considering the effect of air resistance on their results.
kiyoshi7
Hello, I have a cart going down an air track with an inclination of 7 ° and for some reason my acceleration is going on a downward trend, my velocity is increasing and naturally so is the time. to find velocity I'm using v = (2x)/t and for acceleration I'm using a = (2x) / (t^2). Can you tell mr what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing?

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear if you want I can put the data up for you guys to see.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kiyoshi7 said:
Hello, I have a cart going down an air track with an inclination of 7 ° and for some reason my acceleration is going on a downward trend, my velocity is increasing and naturally so is the time.

So you are plotting acceleration versus time, expecting it to be constant and finding that instead it is trending downward. What result would you expect if air resistance were non-negligible?

Related to Acceleration decrease on inclined air track

1. How does the angle of an inclined air track affect acceleration?

The angle of an inclined air track does not affect acceleration, as long as the track is frictionless and the object is not rolling. This is because the force of gravity is the only force acting on the object, and it is always constant regardless of the angle of the track.

2. Why does acceleration decrease on an inclined air track?

Acceleration decreases on an inclined air track because a component of the force of gravity is acting against the direction of motion. This component is proportional to the angle of the track, and as the angle increases, the component of gravity acting against the motion also increases, resulting in a decrease in acceleration.

3. How does the mass of the object affect acceleration on an inclined air track?

The mass of the object does not affect acceleration on an inclined air track, as long as the track is frictionless and the object is not rolling. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the object, and it cancels out when calculating acceleration.

4. Does air resistance have an impact on acceleration on an inclined air track?

No, air resistance does not have an impact on acceleration on an inclined air track. Air resistance only affects objects that are moving through the air, and on an inclined air track, the object is not moving through the air but rather along the surface of the track.

5. How does the shape of the object affect acceleration on an inclined air track?

The shape of the object does not affect acceleration on an inclined air track, as long as the track is frictionless and the object is not rolling. This is because the force of gravity is the same for all objects, regardless of their shape, and it cancels out when calculating acceleration.