Calculating g on an Unfamiliar Planet Using a Simple Pendulum

In summary, the space explorer constructed a simple pendulum with a length of 47.0 cm on an unfamiliar planet and observed that it made 97.0 complete swings in 141 seconds. The goal was to determine the value of g on this planet. The correct approach was to use the formula frequency = (1/2pi)*sqrt(g/ L) and solve for g. However, there was an error in the initial calculation of period, which should have been 97 swings over 141 seconds, resulting in a frequency of 0.688 cycles per second. The final calculation yielded a value of g= 39.2 m/s^2, but there was a discrepancy in the units between the two approaches.
lollypop
After landing on an unfamiliar planet, a space explorer constructs a simple pendulum of length 47.0 cm. She finds that the pendulum makes 97.0 complete swings in a time of 141 s .
What is the value of g on this planet?

a complete swing is a cycle? so the period would be 97/ 141 = 0.688??is this right?
i was thinking of using the formula frequency = (1/2pi)*sqrt(g/ L), and get g from there. I tried using the period i said before but it is not right. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Post your work. Your approach is correct.

cookiemonster

so g = (f*2pi)^2 * L

f = 1/period = 1.453 Hz

which gives me g= 39.2 and this is wrong . :confused:

Check your algebra. I'm getting a different answer.

cookiemonster

i have checked the algebra and i keep on getting 39.2 m/s^2 as the gravity, is my formula right?

T = 2pi*Sqrt[L/g]

g = L*T^2/(4pi^2)

Yes?

cookiemonster

by your formula u get 0.0082? how did u get T^2 on the numerator, when I solve for g using your formula I get (L*4pi^2)/(T^2) which i think is right.

Eh, heh, heh... I suck at typing.

g = 4pi^2*L/T^2

cookiemonster

which gives 39.2 for g. what other number u get that u said was different??

4pi^2*(.47m)/(141s/97)^2 = ?

cookiemonster

You have an error back in your first post:

"a complete swing is a cycle? so the period would be 97/ 141 = 0.688??is this right? "

No, it's not right. It would be a good idea to carry the units along with your calculation. The problem tells you that the pendulum "makes 97.0 complete swings in a time of 141 s ." so that 97/141 would be 97/141 swings per second which is not "period". It is, in fact, the frequency in cycles per second.

The frequency is 0.688 cycles per second, not the period.

(And the period is one over frequency.)

Related to Calculating g on an Unfamiliar Planet Using a Simple Pendulum

1. What is a simple pendulum swing problem?

A simple pendulum swing problem is a physics problem that involves a pendulum, which is a weight attached to a string or rod that is able to swing back and forth. The problem typically involves finding the period, or time for one complete swing, of the pendulum.

2. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by three main factors: the length of the string or rod, the mass of the weight, and the gravitational acceleration. As the length increases, the period also increases, while increasing the mass or gravitational acceleration decreases the period.

3. How do you calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the gravitational acceleration. This equation assumes that the amplitude, or angle of swing, is small (less than 15 degrees).

4. What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period?

The length of a simple pendulum and its period have a direct relationship. As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This means that longer pendulums have longer periods and shorter pendulums have shorter periods.

5. Can the period of a simple pendulum be affected by other factors besides length, mass, and gravitational acceleration?

Yes, other factors such as air resistance and friction can affect the period of a simple pendulum. However, these factors are typically negligible in simple pendulum swing problems and can be ignored unless specified otherwise.