Calculating Frictional Force in a Water Eroded Tube: A Case Study

In summary, the conversation involves a fresh water pond with a depth of 15.7 m and a "tube" of diameter 4.05 cm that has eroded through a bed of limestone. One side of the pond is contained by a cliff and the other side has the "tube" emerge. The question asks for the frictional force between the "tube" wall and a rock blocking the exit, with calculations involving atmospheric pressure, water pressure, and the equation F = PA.
Meis_113
This one is a doozy . . .

A fresh water pond that is 15.7 m deep is contained on one side by a cliff. The water has eroded a nearly horizontal "tube" through a bed of limestone, which allows the water to emerge on the other side of the cliff. If the "tube" has a diameter of 4.05 cm, and is located 5.6 m below the surface of the pond, what is the frictional force between the "tube" wall and a rock that is blocking the exit?

I've spent a bit too long on this one, and I am getting nowhere . . . any assistane would be greatly appreciated. The sooner the better as well lol. Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
actually I had the same question as well.

I'm wondering if I am missing a Force in my force diagram.

I used F = PA
And then the equal and opposite reaction to the force of the water pushing on the rock would be the friction between the rock and the wall going in a direction opposite to the direction of motion.
and where P = Patm + Dgh, where D= density of the fluid and Patm is the atmospheric pressure pushing down on the water.
Is that what you did?

Use the summation of forces Fnet = 0.

Your rock is acted on by
1. friction
2. air pressure - side 1
3. water pressure - side 2

Since, the hole is relatively small, we can make the calculations simple with not statics of bodies involved. The pressure of the water on side 2 of the rock is equal to:

[tex] p_w = \rho g h + p_{atm}[/tex]

Using F = pA, the answer shouldn't be far off.

Related to Calculating Frictional Force in a Water Eroded Tube: A Case Study

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids and the forces acting on them. This includes both liquids and gases and the way they behave when subjected to forces such as pressure and gravity.

What is the difference between a liquid and a gas?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas is the way their molecules move. In a liquid, the molecules are tightly packed together and can only move past each other, while in a gas, the molecules have more energy and are able to move freely and independently.

What is the equation for calculating fluid pressure?

The equation for calculating fluid pressure is P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This means that the smaller the area, the greater the pressure will be.

What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy and can be seen in action in many everyday phenomena, such as the lift force on an airplane wing.

How does viscosity affect fluid flow?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. Higher viscosity fluids, such as honey, have a greater resistance to flow and therefore flow more slowly than lower viscosity fluids, such as water. This can impact the rate of flow and the behavior of fluids in various situations.