Fluids - bringing together pressure, depth and friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of fluids and the challenge of calculating the frictional force between a tube and a rock blocking the exit of a freshwater pond. The calculations involve considering pressure, depth, and friction, with the equation F = P*A being used to find the hydrostatic pressure. However, the conversation points out a possible error in not taking into account the pressure of the air pushing back on the rock from the other side. The final conclusion is that the equation Fnet = F(airpushingonrock) + F(friction) - F(water) = 0 should be used to accurately calculate the frictional force.
Arctangent
Fluids -- bringing together pressure, depth and friction

Hi Again!

More troubles with fluids.

I was pretty sure I had this one.

There is a
freshwater pond
density, D=1000 kg/m^3
depth = 15.1 m
one of the sides is blocked off by a cliff.
A nearly horizontal tube
diameter = 3.17 cm
depth below the pond's surface is 6.2 m
eroded to the other side of the cliff
a rock blocks cuts off the flow of the water.

The question asks for the frictional force between the tube's wall and the rock blocking the exit.

I figured it would be fairly easy, since
F = P*A
and we can find out the hydrostatic pressure.
so
P = Patm + D*g*h
P = 101300 + 1000*9.8*6.2
P = 162060 Pa

A = pi*r^2 = pi* (0.01585)^2 = 7.89e-4 m^2

and therefore,

F = P*A = 127.9 N is the force on the rock blocking the exit

because there is no acceleration, the system is at equilibrium

so Fnet = F(ontherock) - F(friction) = 0
so F(on the rock) = F(friction)
so then my answer would be 127.9 N

Could you point out where I've made an error, and push me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you didn't take into account the pressure of the air pushing back on the rock from the other side!

LOL i just posted a question EXACTLY like this. Anyways, I understand arctans arguement, but I don't know where you would add the pressure pushing back from the other side . . .

Tide said:
I think you didn't take into account the pressure of the air pushing back on the rock from the other side!

ahh good point!

:biggrin:

So It'd be:

Fnet = F(airpushingonrock) + F(friction) - F(water) = 0

Am I correct?

That looks fine - just be careful with the signs of the forces.

Related to Fluids - bringing together pressure, depth and friction

1. What is pressure and how does it relate to fluids?

Pressure is the force exerted by a fluid on an object. It is directly related to the density of the fluid and the depth of the object in the fluid. The deeper an object is submerged in a fluid, the greater the pressure it will experience.

2. How does depth affect the pressure of a fluid?

The deeper an object is submerged in a fluid, the greater the pressure it will experience. This is because the weight of the fluid above the object increases with depth, causing more force to be exerted on the object.

3. What is the role of friction in fluids?

Friction is the resistance to motion between two objects in contact. In fluids, friction plays a role in affecting the speed and direction of the flow. It also causes drag, which can slow down objects moving through the fluid.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the pressure it experiences in a fluid?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the pressure it experiences in a fluid. Objects with a streamlined shape, such as a plane or fish, experience less pressure because the fluid can flow smoothly around the object. On the other hand, objects with a flat or blunt shape, such as a square block, experience more pressure because the fluid cannot flow around the object as easily.

5. What is the difference between static and dynamic pressure in fluids?

Static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid on a stationary object. Dynamic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid on a moving object. Dynamic pressure is typically higher than static pressure due to the added force of the fluid's motion.