Calculating Frequency of Oscillation for Different Masses on a Spring

In summary, the frequency of oscillation for a 0.50kg mass suspended from a vertical spring would be 0.71 Hz, which is found by taking the square root of the mass ratio, 2. This is because the frequency is directly proportional to the square root of the mass.
endeavor
"A 0.25kg mass on a vertical spring oscillates with a frequency of 1.0 Hz. Suppose a 0.50kg mass were instead suspended from the same spring. What would be the frequency of oscillation in this case?"

This is what I did:
[tex]\frac{f_{1}}{f_{2}} = \frac {\sqrt{\frac{k}{m_{1}}}}{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m_{2}}}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{f_{1}}{f_{2}} = \sqrt{\frac{m_{2}}{m_{1}}}[/tex]
[tex]f_{2} = \frac{1}{4} f_{1}[/tex]
[tex]f_{2} = 0.25 Hz[/tex]
however, the answer is 0.71 Hz. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the ratio [itex]m_2/m_1[/itex] wrong. The ratio is 2, which means that [itex]\sqrt{m_2/m_1}=\sqrt{2}[/itex], but you have 4.

So in short I think you squared the 2 when you should have taken the square root.

You are absolutely correct! I didn't realize I did that. Thanks for the prompt reply!

Related to Calculating Frequency of Oscillation for Different Masses on a Spring

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and period. It occurs when the force acting on the object is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point and is directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for calculating the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for calculating the period of Simple Harmonic Motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the system.

3. What factors affect the frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the system, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass, higher spring constant, and larger amplitude will result in a lower frequency.

4. What is the relationship between Simple Harmonic Motion and Hooke's Law?

Simple Harmonic Motion and Hooke's Law are closely related. Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This is the same principle that governs Simple Harmonic Motion, where the force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

5. Can Simple Harmonic Motion occur in other systems besides springs?

Yes, Simple Harmonic Motion can occur in other systems besides springs. Any system that follows the conditions of a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point can exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion. Examples include pendulums, torsion pendulums, and mass-spring systems.