Calculating Frequency of Hydrogen Light in a Moving Galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a galaxy moving away from Earth at a speed of 2.3\times 10^7 m/s^1 and the emission of light from hydrogen with a wavelength of 410nm. The formula for the Doppler effect, \frac{\Delta f}{f} = \frac {v}{c}, is mentioned and the speaker is seeking help in calculating the frequency of the hydrogen light emission. They mention there may be two steps involved in solving the problem and suggest checking the general section on the wiki for more details on the formulas.
_Mayday_

Homework Statement

A galaxy is moving away from the Earth at a speed of [tex]2.3\times 10^7 m/s^1[/tex]. Hydrogen emits light of wavelength 410nm. The speed of light is [tex]3.0\times 10^8 m/s^1[/tex] Calculate th frequency of hydrogen light emission that you would expect to measure on earth.

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure! I would have thought judging by what I have done previous to this.

[tex]V=f\lambda[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\Delta f}{f} = \frac {v}{c}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really can't think of anything, I would have thought there were 2 steps to it. Possibly the first equation to find the frequency of Hygrogen? I'm really stuck

Help would be great :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
All you have to do is to compute the change in frequency due to Doppler's Effect, you have the speed of the source and the speed of the wave.
Check the general section on the wiki for more details on the formulas :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

I would approach this problem by first recognizing that the observed wavelength of the hydrogen light will be affected by the motion of the galaxy. This is known as the Doppler effect, and it causes a shift in the wavelength of light emitted from a moving source. In this case, the galaxy is moving away from Earth, so the observed wavelength will be longer (redshifted).

To calculate the frequency of the hydrogen light on Earth, we can use the equation V = fλ, where V is the velocity, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. We know the velocity of the galaxy (V) and the wavelength of the hydrogen light on Earth (λ = 410nm). Plugging these values into the equation, we can solve for the frequency (f).

f = V/λ = (2.3x10^7 m/s)/(410x10^-9 m) = 5.6x10^13 Hz

This is the frequency of the hydrogen light that we would expect to measure on Earth. However, since the galaxy is moving away from us, the light will be redshifted and the observed frequency will be slightly lower. To account for this, we can use the equation Δf/f = v/c, where Δf is the change in frequency, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light. Plugging in our values, we get:

Δf/f = (2.3x10^7 m/s)/(3.0x10^8 m/s) = 0.077

This means that the observed frequency will be 0.077 times lower than the calculated frequency. Therefore, the final frequency of the hydrogen light that we would expect to measure on Earth is:

f = 0.077 x 5.6x10^13 Hz = 4.3x10^12 Hz

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by using the Doppler effect to account for the motion of the galaxy and then using the equations V = fλ and Δf/f = v/c to calculate the frequency of the hydrogen light that we would expect to measure on Earth. This approach can be applied to similar problems involving the motion of astronomical objects and the measurement of light from them.

Related to Calculating Frequency of Hydrogen Light in a Moving Galaxy

1. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of hydrogen light in a moving galaxy?

The formula for calculating the frequency of hydrogen light in a moving galaxy is f = (c ± v)/λ, where f is the frequency, c is the speed of light, v is the velocity of the galaxy, and λ is the wavelength of the light.

2. How do you determine the velocity of a moving galaxy?

The velocity of a moving galaxy can be determined by measuring the Doppler shift of the hydrogen spectral lines. If the lines are shifted towards the blue end of the spectrum, it indicates that the galaxy is moving towards us, and if they are shifted towards the red end, it indicates that the galaxy is moving away from us.

3. What is the significance of calculating the frequency of hydrogen light in a moving galaxy?

Calculating the frequency of hydrogen light in a moving galaxy can provide valuable information about the motion and velocity of the galaxy, which can help us understand the dynamics and structure of the universe. It can also be used to study the expansion of the universe and the effects of gravity on celestial bodies.

4. Can the frequency of hydrogen light change as a galaxy moves?

Yes, the frequency of hydrogen light can change as a galaxy moves due to the Doppler effect. The wavelength of the light may appear to be either shortened or lengthened, depending on the direction of the galaxy's motion, resulting in a change in frequency.

5. How does the frequency of hydrogen light in a moving galaxy affect our observations?

The frequency of hydrogen light in a moving galaxy can affect our observations by providing us with information about the motion and velocity of the galaxy. It can also affect the perceived color of the galaxy, as the Doppler shift can shift the wavelength of the light, making it appear more blue or red. This can help us better understand the properties and behavior of distant galaxies.